Thanks Mom and Dad - oh, and thanks Mother

by berrygerry 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• berrygerry
  • Chaserious
    Chaserious

Its a shame they gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Watchtower, but they clearly intended for the WT to keep the money if they died without asking having asked for it back. Claiming that it doesnt count because of lack of compliance with the wills act was just a hope to find a legal loophole to invalidate the couple's true, however misguided intent. I have no problem with the result.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Agree totally with Chaserious - the evidence was always in favour of the Org, sadly.

Your parents were simply blinded to believe that they were storing up treasures in heaven by helping to finance "Christ's brothers'" corporation on earth!

• cha ching
    cha ching

I can't even stand to read this, it makes me so mad inside. I don't need the details, I know the Borg...

They have plotted and planned and raised lawyers and know the law, and are evil.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I wonder how much of the recent money grabs and suspected dwindling of donations relates to the disappearance of JWs like these. I would guess this is a bigger factor than the effect of litigation. Back in the 50's and 60's it seemed rather common for them to attract new members through door-to-door visits with middle class housewives, who probably were bored and welcomed visitors, had no internet to research the visitors, and liked the ready-made social network and even unconventional doctrines about paradise and pandas.

Then, in turn some of them would convince their husbands to join as well and of course raise their kids as JWs. I can think of two couples from where I grew up with no children who fit that mold. Both of the men had college degrees before they joined the WTS and the rumors were that both couples were relatively well-off and were leaving all their money to "the society." These people would be well into their 80's now if still alive.

I suspect that people like this (and like those involved in the court case, who may have even left family out of their estate planning) have accounted for a huge chunk of donations in years past. How many average Joe JWs dropping $20-$30 per month in the box does it take to equal one upper-middle class couple who leaves their entire estate to the WTS?

Most of these people have died off - those who convert more recently tend to be the less educated who haven't done the research about what this group is about, and the born-ins are rarely able to save up a nest egg after listening to the warnings against higher education and not working overtime in order to go door-knocking on the weekends.

• clarity
    clarity

Cha ching....They have plotted and planned and

raised lawyers and know the law, and are evil.

Strange how we got the idea in the beginning that

wt was such a simple pure loving "religion"

When we see how they are all Lawyered-up

and how complex & evily sophisticated they are

OMG ......... wolves hiding in sheeps clothing!

so sick of this cult

clarity

• under the radar
    under the radar

As much as I hate and despise the Society and its money-grubbing ways, I have to agree with the Court's reasoning.

It's just a pity that this undoubtedly kind and generous old couple was so enamored of the Society. I hope they provided for their other heirs as well and didn't give everything to the Borg.

I completely understand and sympathize with the family's feelings in this matter and don't blame them a bit for trying to get the "Conditional Donation" returned to the estate. I just don't think they had the legal grounds to prevail. Too bad. If the Society wasn't so greedy, they would consider the family's feelings and return the money voluntarily. But of course, that might set a precedent and they can't allow that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit