Examining Genesis . Would your JW's ?

by Phizzy 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was talking to a JW a short time ago and it emerged in conversation that he believed in the literal truth of the Bible's first book, Genesis.

No great surprise there, but he said something pertinent, he said, "If you don't, then the whole of our belief falls apart".

I was wondering if this may be of use to those who are endeavouring to "wake up" JW family or friends. A proper examination of Genesis could be encouraged in a gentle way, raising questions the J.W's must answer, ( you may have to insist they answer them, not shove them aside as they love to do ), and eventually they will have to get to the point, if they are at all honest, that Genesis is simply not literal truth.

Then, their whole body of Belief is undermined.

Simples !

well, the idea is, the execution may be impossible, but I just thought the idea may be helpful ?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I have used this tack several times and I think many Witnesses realise the dependancy on the varacity of Genesis. The problem is that the cog dis kicks in big time and they revert back to the "fundamentals" like " do I believe God exists, that he created everything and that he has a purpose?". It's where I was 2/3 years ago. They have to give themselves permission to ask the question "what if Genesis is not correct?".

• designs
    designs

Jesus the Redeemer makes no sense without Adam the sinner, that's the Gospel according to Paul and his theology. JWs and Evangelical Fundamentalists know this and quietly tremble at science.

• St George of England
    St George of England

But Jesus believed in Genesis! He talked about Adam and Noah, and there's Gen 3:15 the first prophesy.......

My wife KNOWS there are problems with Genesis; she KNOWS people have been around for more than 6,000 years but simply dare not think about it too much or the last 65 years have been wasted.

George

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

lol, see my question, 'why didnt god just do this?', for a further discussion on what most people think of that account.

id say your correct, however, the book of job was written first from what i recall reading, its the oldest book found, so who knows.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Konceptual99 said : " the cog diss kicks in big time and they revert back to.....".

That is why I said we may have to INSIST they answer THE question.

Pose one question, insist they answer that, before you move on. The typical JW evasive tactic is to never answer the quesstion, but pose another back to you, don't let 'em get away with that method.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

St George - "But Jesus believed in Genesis! He talked about Adam and Noah, and there's Gen 3:15 the first prophesy......."

To which I would respond, "and how did Jesus teach? Parables and allegories..."

x

The OP is correct, though...

WT theology - and fundamentalist Christian theology in general - is utterly dependent on Genesis (or, more precisely, the Eden narrative) being 100% literal history.

It ultimately crumbles without that central assumption, and in fact, the WTS tacitly admitted as much in one of the more recent Awake! pieces attempting to refute evolution.

• BU2B
    BU2B

This tactic strikes at the heart not only of JWism, but also belief in the Bible and Christianity. You would be saving them time by killing "3 birds with one stone" if you can pull it off. Some though will dismiss everything and just say its a miracle! God could do anything!

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I've used the "Genesis" approach with my still-in wife...as I come across more books and websites showing humans are older than 6,000 years on this planet I share them with her and say nothing about the WT...then after a while she asked me if all these sources say we have been on this planet for more than 6,000 years then she has to doubt the WT and Genesis...bingo.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Way to go ! (even if you're not sure where LOL).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit