Jehovah’s Witnesses costs/benefits analysis

by What is Truth? 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

Jehovah’s Witnesses costs/benefits analysis

Motivated by the 9/15/14 Watchtower studied Nov 16 th

I chose to take up their odd challenge, on paragraph 16 which is among many suggestions in this article that would bring up questions if followed through by any thinking person.

“How do you feel about being a Christian? Personally, what do you find are the benefits? What are the costs? Do you find that the costs are clearly outweighed by the many benefits, both those we enjoy now and those that are promised for the future? How?”

Of course this is strictly from the standpoint of a JW. Most people like to do benefits first but for this analysis I don’t consider any benefits.

Costs

• Dedication to God to do His will over my own. (Enslavement)
    • Alignment with the Organization that is God’s only true representative at this time.
    • Obedience to strict moral codes.
    • Acceptance of the Bible as God’s word and his Organization as its sole interpreter. (Deactivation of all critical thought.)
    • Ignore all discrepancies in the Bible itself and except all doctrinal changes as God’s blessing of new light.
    • Forgive all mistakes imperfections and pain inflicted by God’s shepherds.
    • Regular attendance at the congregation including weekly meetings, conventions, and meetings for service.
    • Follow after Jesus pattern taking up his yoke. (It’s light right?)
    • Engaging in disciple making work, door to door service several hours each month.
    • Watching billions of fellow humans die because of not believing the ‘truth.’ (That’s billion with a B, 7 followed by 9 digits)
    • Burying said dead people after the birds have picked them clean.
    • Restrictive dress code variable to area and current overseers.
    • Restrictions on entertainment.
    • Restrictions on higher education.
    • Restrictions on etc.…

Benefits

• Knowing the “Truth.” (No need to think for myself.)
    • Hope of perfect future, no more; death, sickness, crime, pain, tears, suffering; abundant food, work, love. (When? Soon!)
    • Protection from Satan’s world and all its tricks, traps, snares, and sinful pleasures. (Yes now including spanx.)
    • Wonderful loving brotherhood that is welcoming anywhere you go and find them. (Just don’t stay any one place to long)
    • Serve the happy God, for he is love. (Keep up that smile.)
    • The greatest education available on Earth. (Unchanged in 2 millennia, only some minor reinterpretation.)
    • Shepherds to help me walk in the way of ‘truth.’

Please feel free to add to and critique my list as you feel fit.

Now to create a assets liabilities comparison to figure out how far from leaving dumbland I am.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I heard it said once to "never trust someone who steals your money, time or love" and IMO the WT steals all three.

Simplistic I know, but it helped greatly in my cost/benefit analysis.

• talesin
    talesin

Cost: Living a life of deluded fantasy, not being permitted to make choices for one's self.

Benefit: Living a life of deluded fantasy, not being required to make choices/decisions for one's self.

It depends on what you want out of life. :)

tal

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah I was thinking about this at the cult meeting today. You well illustrate that all the "benefits" are really costs when you know the truth.

I also looked the part where they basically said that if your kids are having doubts, is not rally because there's some ocular issue to be considered, is because they lack self-confidence it feel that they're being left out.

Ugh. I effing hate this s*** cult.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would place living without Satan as a cost, not a benefit. And a damn high cost at that. And that means anything that Satan has done, not just personal relationship with Satan. No astrology. No learning to use the energy system of the universe to your advantage. No metaphysics. No preparation for disasters--warning everyone of a disaster does no good if you do nothing about it yourself. And living with joke-hova is a major drawback.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Forgive the shepherds for all mistakes, even ones done willfully, with intent to ham? That drives one over the edge? Crushing their heart, mind, and soul? To the point death is the only welcome thought in your mind?

Dwain

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

WTWizard, you should totally post a Cost/Benefit analysis on switching sides.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit