Jonestown David Koresh at Waco and Heavens gate...any thoughts on death cults!

by Witness 007 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

These three men led there flock to mass suicide. I listened to the last recording of Jim Jones and it was chilling. People cheered and clapped when he told them it was the end...one older black woman protests saying "the children have a right to live" but she is shouted down by the other members saying "if they take our kids they will grow up to be dummies. .." Jones second in command says:"Please lets make THIS a beautiful day." Cheering and the coolaid is passed out. Shocking how brainwashed we can be and these leaders who would rather die and murder everyone then lose their position and control.

• kairos
    kairos

I sure hope nothing serious enough happens that drives any of our friends or family to suicide over a religion.

I wonder what kind of reaction it would generate if the WTS lost it's tax exempt status and was found guilty of illegal financial practices leading to prison sentences and seizure of funds?

• happy@last
    happy@last

It was shocking and my heart goes out to all the families that lost loved ones in these places. What is also shocking is that people in cults will see these reports, comment on how disturbing it is, but not see they are in the same position themselves.

If the WTS lost its tax exempt status and certain ones put into prison, the R&F would accept this as persecution. As to suicide, I cannot think how any scripture can be twisted to explain that it is the right thing to do in line with JWs teachings.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Suicide has already been recommended by Watchtower leadership!

1926 "Tonsillectomy is called a minor operation. If so, getting well is a double major. If any overzealous doctor condemns your tonsils go and commit suicide with a case-knife. It's cheaper and less painful." {GA Apr 7 1926 438}

Atlantis!

• Heaven
    Heaven

This is what happens when you give psychotic people power.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Jehovah's witnesses and the blood doctrine......how many refused blood and died?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Family members went to prison b/c of the Witnesses. Great aunts went to jail in Paterson, NJ for preaching in Pastor Russell's day. My uncle spent the WWII years in Danbury prison b/c of the neutrality stance. Every JW male faced prison when the United States had a draft. FBI investigations during war time were draconian. The JW concentration camp experience might not be as serious as Jewish people, gays, the disabled, and communists but it was serious.

My mom had close male friends go to prison b/c of the draft. The older brothers and the Bethel crowd encouraged one male Witness I knew to witness during his sentencing before a federal judge. The United States was fighting a fierce war on two fronts. Her friend was going to be sentenced to two years in prison. Her friend leaped up and shouted "I must obey God before man" in a confrontational manner. He was young. I doubt that he could afford a lawyer to advice him. Such privilege only exists for the leadership. The judge imposed an additional two years. My father was at Bethel. It was a small community. He had no access to even a Jehovah's Witness lawyer. He did not go to prison only b/c one individual much older brother had faced the draft issue during WWI and explained the process to my father. The older brother helped my father against the wishes of Rutherford. My father helped the local KH brothers during Viet Nam.

• pronomono
    pronomono

If you have Netflix, watch "Jonestown: Paradise Lost". It was a really good docudrama on this, mostly a re-enactment, but had some original audio/video recordings. The sad thing is, his wife was totally against the koolaid, but ones the children were forced to drink the kool-aid, she was so distraught that she drank it herself because she couldn't live with herself anymore. It was amazing to see how far people would let themselves go to believe what they wanted, until I woke up and realized I was almost in the same situation with the JWs and blindly following men, although I never reached a life/death situation. The docudrama was very moving to me.

Also, "I Escaped A Cult" on FLDS and a few others was good too.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

The Witnesses are a major Death Cult......actually they make Jim Jones and David Koresh seem like amatuers in my opinion. With the Witnesses, you have 6-7 million followers fervently HOPING for Jehovah to brutally slaughter BILLIONS of innocent human beings at Armageddon. They LOOK FORWARD to this occurring. They are really in the same category as the Nazis. They long for the EXTERMINATION of all who don't believe exactly as they do. What kind of Monsters think such things???? Yes, they are definitely a DEATH CULT!!! It's time to tell it like it is!!!

• Ocean1111
    Ocean1111

I used to badmouth the whole Waco situtation and make tasteless jokes about it, until I learned more about the innocent victims of that tragedy and the bigger background development with the BATF and FBI. After that never will I say the things I formerly said about the overall development, but I do not excuse Koresh for enabling the hingepoint of the further operation.

That said, in all fairness to the innocent Waco victims caught in the operation, there is more to the BATF and FBI end of that stick and there is good evidence in newer documentaries, that while true, Koresh enabled it, the BATF, FBI and CAG (Delta Force) also had an agenda.

I am not defending Koresh, I am just saying everyone should at least see more of the story in that particular case. Koresh is not the whole story, he was the perfect opportunity, imo. It could have been handled much differently with far less casualties. If we don't see the bigger picture and opinions or evidence of others, then might as well be a modern JW, its the same thing. It never hurts to see as much of the story before just buying the media prescribed answer.

More people will be on the docket than just Koresh, come judgment day, imo.

Waco: A New Revelation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8r7Yxz3P8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco:_A_New_Revelation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit