Doctrine, Disfellowshipping and the IRS

by OrphanCrow 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Thank you for the advice, Vidot.

I totally understand what you are saying.

There is much disinformation out there.

• Listener
    Listener

It is interesting to note why the Governments provide non profit and charity status to religions. It is not because they are being benevolent. It is all about control. It is a vehicle in which the Government can bind these organizations with a specific set of laws, it is for control. In order for an organization to qualify for tax exempt status they must comply with these specific and seperate laws, specially created. If the organization chooses not to be bound by these laws then the only choice is to become taxable entities. In many incidences the Government wants religions to qualify, it gives them the advantage of controlling them.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Just a little bit more information to add to the tax climate in the 1950s.

Keep in mind that up to that point, it was the bragging rights of the Jehovah's Witnesses everywhere that "We are not a religion - we are a group of like minded people who study the Bible. The Watchtower Society is a '"Corporation". Or words to that effect - it has been a while and the mantra has slipped from my memory. However, don't take my word for it - there are many quotes of Rutherford's boast, both in Watchtower publications and in the public press. "We are not a religion" was said by a whole generation of Witnesses. And then it all changed. Sort of gradually in the rank and file - but at the top level, the move from Corporation to religion would have had major financial benefits for the Watchtower in 1950.

America was in war recovery - they, like every other country, had a huge war debt to consider. So they made some changes to the tax laws.

Revenue Act of 1950

• Individual Income Tax. Eliminated portion of the individual income tax rate reductions from 1945 and 1948 acts.
    • Corporate Tax. Eliminated 53% corporate tax rate "bubble"; increased top corporate rate from 38% to 45%.

All of a sudden, claiming not to be a religion came with a huge financial cost.

Hence, the shift to a 'religion'.

And having to qualify as one meant having to establish 'genuine belief'.

Voila. Offical doctrine on disfellowshipping in 1952.

As far as 1914 doctrine goes. I am afraid that the above explanation makes sense to me.

More sense than anything the GB can pull out of their grey bible.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Great thread OC.

As a kid I remember claiming "we are NOT a religion".

California (the worlds 7th largest economy) has become VERY aggressive in collecting taxes since the 08' financial crises. They have taken the lead in going after non-profits. The YMCA took a hit in years past for having lunch counters. Perhaps there is no connection, but during that case WTBTS stopped charging for food at conventions............hummmmm.

Perhaps if someone who had inside knowledge of "profit making" scams could forward that info to CALIFORNIA tax collectors some changes might occur....

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I just saw this. Insightful, clever, ingenious, and persuasive!

Are you a physician, btw?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    I just saw this. Insightful, clever, ingenious, and persuasive!
    Are you a physician, btw?

Thank you, Terry.

No, I am not a physician. I am a researcher/artist with a background that is mostly in the Fine Arts field. My research in Fine Arts is propelled by an interest in the structures that define power relationships so it includes a study of world history and politics. 

[my 'letters' are: BA(Psychology), BFA(Photography) MFA(Intermedia)]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit