No more circuit assemblies

by justmeok 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Blondie, I also was at the Rose Bowl in '63. Just a kid but I was there. The Nazis could have learned something from that kind of torture. Blistering heat and brutal sun punctuated by the occasional rain shower. And blah, blah, blah coming from the loudspeakers. Waterboarding is a vacation compared to that. JWs wouldn't have 100,000 actives at this point if they had kept that up.

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

Talking of assemblies in the past, I remember, with a great deal of mental anguish, the 8 day assembly

I attended as a teenager in 1969. I was living in London at the time and it was held at Wembley Stadium.

Strangely enough I downloaded a report on the assembly from here just the other day

https://archive.org/details/ReportOfThe1969PeaceOnEarthInternationalAssemblyOfJehovahsWitnesses

The report is almost as long as the assembly. But I remember on the 4th day I had had enough.

I walked out halfway through and went off somewhere to decompress.

How on earth could the WTS have felt that these assemblies were beneficial.

All I can say is that happily those kind of assemblies were never repeated ( at least I think so).

Any predictions on here about shortening the District ( or soon to be called Regional ) convention to 2 days? 1 day? Half a day?

......please.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, no question that modern JWs are wusses. I have a hard time handling 3-day assembles; I think 8 days would have given me a nervous breakdown.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Outlaw once posted to the effect that "old-school JWs were Watchtower warriors; today's JWs are soft" (paraphrasing, but that's the gist).

• prologos
    prologos

what all this shortening, elimination of 'meeting,assembly'* time means is, that fewer and fewer select speakers, commenting sisters&brothers will be heard.

the sheep, lambs will be silenced.

even those 'reaching out' will be side-lined for a long time.

time to punch out. at least mentally, financially.

* like the elimination of the individual 'bookstudy' arangement

blondie: loved that 8 day immersion in NYC (not the baptism, but getting the flavor of that great city)

• steve2
    steve2

Modern-day Witnesses are pussies compared to the stealthy ferocity of those now long-dead real pioneers of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. They lived every single second of their constricted but valiant lives as if the end were breathing fire down their earnest necks. They had a mission to 'advertise, advertise, advertise the Kingdom'.

Of course, the fact that they were suffering a religious delusion every bit as powerfully blinding as that of the paganized and scandalously corrupt Roman Papacy didn't count for a twig of human reason.

But, man, what busy, fulfilled lives they led!

• factfinder
    factfinder

I agree that soon the regional conventions will be just two days.

I'm wondering when the wt study will be shortened to 30 minutes like the other meetings. Then the study w can be reduced to 16 pages like the other magazines.

Awake! will become bi-monthly and the public Watchtower too, then quarterly, then internet only.

Publishers will have tracts to use door to door to encourage householders to read the publications online.

But I wonder if any witnesses see the shortening of assemblies as a reduction of spiritual food? Most are probably glad they will only have to sit through one day of boring repetitive vomit!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

justmeok

Post 1 of 1
    Joined 2/24/2006

WOW serious lurk mode WELCOME!!!

• pixel
    pixel

In the letter it says: "Effective immediately, zone overseers will be called "headquarters representatives.".

"Effective immediately". Like if a change of term is a big deal!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

More Newspeak ? More Orwellian ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit