Theocratic Ministry School Review night?

by FadeToBlack 18 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

How can I tell without even looking at the schedule that it is time for the review? My wife decides she is not going to the meeting. She told me earlier this week we had an invitation for dinner/drinks with one of our neighbors down the street. Friday at 6. I didn't say anything, except: "sounds great!" Today she reminded me about it at lunch and just left a few minutes ago to buy some wine for the occasion. So I run back in the house after she leaves to check the KM and sure enough, Review Night! When I was still going, even if I did not know ahead of time, the moment I walked in the hall, I could tell it was review night. Attendance was sparse. I don't understand it! Who would miss an opportunity to read back approved WT answers to questions you never wondered about? And what about the rest of the spiritual feast? Anyone else observe this same lack of appreciation for 'spiritual' provisions from the GB?

• blondie
    blondie

My husband was TMS overseer for some time. On non-review nights, there is little required participation except for those individuals that give talks, and the elder who does the bible reading questions (not many now). The oral reivew puts people more in the limelight as to not answering. This must mean that people now skip the book study as well. My husband noticed that on TMS nights the attendance for the service meeting was lower...the organizational sales meeting.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

The review meeting is now easy.

There are several email chains that will give you the answers and all the references in an attachment.

I get it emailed to me a week ahead. No preparation needed. Everyone i know gets the answers this way. The origin of the doc-I dont know.

• hoser
    hoser

Pretty much the same at our congregation. Only the die hard publishers show up for the meeting that night

• Comatose
    Comatose

The school overseer used to say things to commenters like "Wow, that was almost word for word exactly what I have! I don't even have to add anything. I don't know how you did that!" He never figured out that half the hall had the official answers somehow. Haha.

• man oh man
    man oh man

I have always hated this meeting as it is the most boring of them all! Most of these questions could never be answered from the Bible alone. Sad!

• clarity
    clarity

Early 1960's, we did not mark our own review, but the written review papers

were handed to the row in front of youto be marked !!!!!!

>

There was always a mad scramble for a pen or pencil that night, if

you had a big family........that was a lot of pens to round up! LOL

<

Why ......oh WHY did I ever do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarity

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I cannot speak for the current situation, in my day most publishers hated it . We had one School O/seer who used to make it really competitive..."Who got over 90% " gold star ...Under 25% wooden spoon.......YUK ! And there was always some bore who would insist on having the answer to a certain Q repeated , until he got it......as if it mattered! Nowadays if the answers are out there, why bother??? NB When I was a kid, the School O/S had to collect all the papers, mark them and give them back for review next week

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Deleted - double post , Sorry .

• whathappened
    whathappened

Everyone is afraid to answer for fear of humiliating themselves by not answering the question using the exact approved phrasing that the conductor is looking for. It is a collasal waste of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit