Private meetings banned??

by franticfran 43 Replies latest jw friends

• franticfran
    franticfran

Help!! I have just spoken to a brother who is part of a group of single brothers and sisters who meet together once a week to discuss bible topics and he has been told by and elder that the organisation "banned" these private meetings years ago. I told him I remember that article but he is adamant that the society would never do that (!) Now I am fairly sure I remember that article whether it was in a KM or one of the mags I cant recall but I am sure I remember them saying we needed nothing more than the food that the slave class provided (another means to control us),does anyone have the details of that article because I have said I will find it and let him have it. cheers everyone.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Well years ago they used to say that having a get together and discussing upbuilding topics from the Bible publications was a great way to spend time together and extend hospitality.

They need to make up their minds, right? Because if we can't get together and discuss the WT study, natcherly we'll get together and smoke some big doobs and play wild music with a keg in the basement and...hey, can you bring your drums over and also an amp...the nachos are on me, YEAH!!!

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Batshit crazy!

Next!

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Here you go......................

NO INDEPENDENT STUDY
    Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?-Matt. 24:45, 47.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature.

Throughout the earth, Jehovah's people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah's organization. Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovah provides what is needed so that all of God's people may be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought" and remain "stabilized in the faith." (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah's spiritual provisions in these last days. Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight.-Matt. 24:45-47.

It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personal pursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. In the first century, the apostle Paul warned about getting involved in exhausting, time-consuming subjects, such as "genealogies, which end up in nothing, but which furnish questions for research rather than a dispensing of anything by God in connection with faith." (1 Tim. 1:3-7) All Christians should strive to "shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile."-Titus 3:9.

For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial," and our other publications, such as those that discuss the prophecies found in the Bible books of Daniel, Isaiah, and Revelation. These provide abundant material for Bible study and meditation, whereby we can be "filled with the accurate knowledge of [God's] will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension, in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing him as [we] go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God."-Col. 1:9, 10.

Kingdom Ministry 9/07 p. 3 Question Box

• ekruks
    ekruks

Yes, that's the article - we are to follow the Watchtower, not the Bible!!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Well if they don't want anyone to do exhausting research into things that are futile and unprofitable, then it's time for some awesome jammin' and pickin' & grinnin' which is hugely profitable, just not to the WT.

• franticfran
    franticfran

Many thanks all, and in particular Watchtower Free, do I love it when I find an answer for a "brother" here? You bet I do! Deatails will be passed on

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Why study on your own? God's spirit cannot help a JW and your brain is not smart enough to understand the Bible without the WT telling you what it says. You see, only the GB has all the answers....you are stupid:

w94 10/1 p.8 The Bible—A Book Meant to Be Understood

Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave.—John 6:68.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The Watch Tower Society cannot ban private meetings for any purpose, but it doesn't endorse independent Bible study groups. If such private groups develop independent thinking, it may result in a judicial committee (which has no authority or legal standing). Note that the article is careful to choose words such as "does not endorse" and "we recommend". Other than that, elders can't (officially) stop groups of JWs having 'private meetings', and it's none of their business anyway. If elders don't like private group discussions, don't invite them and don't tell them about it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's a word game. A faithful elder reads "BAN" when he reads the article and a fringe member reads "...does not endorse..." so says he is okay with a private meeting.

The brother who says the society would never do that needs to meditate on how a faithful elder relays the information as a ban. It is clear that WTS thinks it is a bad idea, and he should think about that also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit