"Worldly" what does it mean?

by msconcerned 24 Replies latest jw friends

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

I dont think this word will ever leave the vocabulary of Jw's. All i can do is try to show others what it denotes.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OMG I never knew they actually used the word "worldlings"! I thought it was satircal neologism used by JWN members, but no, Blondie has shown us:

"Now if association with certain anointed Christians could have been harmful for Timothy, how much more so would association with worldlings be damaging to a Christian youth today! (1 Corinthians 15:33)"

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

When my wife gave a talk on Cults at our U.U. church many had no idea what JW mean when they say worldly. They all thought it meant they had a education and was a person who knew how to work with others in the work place and had a knowledge of the world. To say the lease they were all surprised. Totally ADD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Does anyone know when the term " worldly " was first used by the Watchtower? Was it the IBSA? Or was it a Rutherford term? It's definitely a derogatory term. I don't think unbeliever should be used either. I had a non-witness family member take offense to being called an unbeliever. They said, " You don't know what I believe."

I also recently told my child not to say things like ," They are really nice for a worldly person." I told them it was a prejudicial term. I asked , " Would you say that someone was honest for a ( insert race or religion ) person? Why wouldn't you say that?" They got the point.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.ctrussell.us/

search using worldly--I found a 1888 reference in 10 seconds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit