"Worldly" what does it mean?

by msconcerned 24 Replies latest jw friends

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

I have recently been using the expression "people not of our faith" and it shocks me to be corrected everytime by, "you mean worldly". I dont really like the word worldly because i feel it is a degrading word to describe people we love so much that we try to find them in the ministry. Below are a couple of quotes from recent watchtowers that really give us the esscence of the word worldly as far as the watchtower is concerned.

Janusz, who lives in Eastern Europe, became engrossed in his gardening business. He recalls: “ Worldly people admired me because I was full of initiative and was able to complete each assigned task. But my spirituality suffered, and I stopped sharing in the field ministry. Soon I stopped attending meetings. I became so proud that I dismissed the counsel from the elders and drew away from the congregation.” (What i get from this is, worldly people want nothing more than to make us prideful and stop attending meetings).

The sacrifices that the Israelites made to Jehovah were considered to be holy. (Lev. 6:25; 7:1) The Hebrew term translated “holiness” conveys the idea of separateness, exclusiveness, or sanctification to God. In order for our sacrifices to be acceptable to Jehovah, they must be separate from and uncontaminated by worldly influences. We cannot be loving any of the things that Jehovah hates. (Read1 John 2:15-17.) Clearly, this means that we have to avoid any associations or involvements that would defile us from God’s point of view. (What i get from this is, we as Jw's are an exclusive group and cannot associate with those Jehovah hates).

So when using this word it does not simply mean not a Jw, it is a hateful and hurtful word.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I never liked that word too because it carries connotations of every vice known to humanity. Worldly conjures up the image of someone who is debauched, drunk all the time, a thief, fraudster, selfish, materialistic, hedonistic- basically the way JWs view most non-JWs. JWs would say to me, "Your parents are worldly, aren't they," and I'd say, "No, they're not WORLDLY, they're unbelievers."

I too didn't like 'worldly'. Unbelievers or non-JWs suited me fine.

And what's with JWs thinking 'worldly' people are always watching them and they have to put on a good front at all times? Seriously, most ppl don't care if someone's a JW, as long as they're not being cornered at work and preached to or something- which I've actually seen happen.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I never liked that word too because it carries connotations of every vice known to humanity. Worldly conjures up the image of someone who is debauched, drunk all the time, a thief, fraudster, selfish, materialistic, hedonistic- basically the way JWs view most non-JWs. JWs would say to me, "Your parents are worldly, aren't they," and I'd say, "No, they're not WORLDLY, they're unbelievers."

I too didn't like 'worldly'. Unbelievers or non-JWs suited me fine.

And what's with JWs thinking 'worldly' people are always watching them and they have to put on a good front at all times? Seriously, most ppl don't care if someone's a JW, as long as they're not being cornered at work and preached to or something- which I've actually seen happen.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

How many times does the word "worldly" appear in the Bible?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If you read up on cults you see it is a tactic used in all of them to seperate the cult followers and the non, one scientific paper I read from MIT on cults about this even mentioned the term 'worldly' or 'in the world' as being common in many cults.

i got my sister to read it, she is a JW, she read it and got annoyed.... "Its clearly written about the witnesses, was this writer an apostate, an ex JW ?"

She wouldnt believe me,it was a generic, non specific paper on cults... But it was such an almost perfect mirror description of JW's she would not believe it was written about wnyone else.

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

People are so scared of "apostates" that even neutral material is looked upon with fear. I used to feel that way but now i read somthing and I make a decision as to if I want to accept it or not. An open mind is NOT a bad thing.

• stillin
    stillin

Calling somebody worldly means that you know what is in their heart, and that they have bad motives for everything they do if they do not believe as you do.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I use JW expressions like 'worldly' on here usually in inverted commas to help jw lurkers, talking their language. I am surprised I can still remember them but I can.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Jehos are petrified of praying to jesus. They come absolutely unglued. They won't tell you that up front. It's part of the big sting.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

They have a lot of buzzwords.

Wordly

Apostate

Immature Person

Inactive

etc

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest