jw.org store in Rouen, France

by breakfast of champions 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

SO i mention this to my mother a few minutes ago and I told her they have state of the art touch screen computers and swanky furniture and she says, "Well who paid for all that??? My computer is 8 years old and my furniture is older than you!" I thought I had an opening.. then she followed up with "It's not my business to question the slave... afterall it is all for God's glory"

***spit***

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What the hell is that?

Are they going to come out with a Watchtower tablet next?

If it malfunctions then you can pop down to the Watchtower store to consult the Watchtower geniuses.

• Gayle
  • mariu
    mariu

Just as the high street sees less foot fall because of internet shopping etc

Well, that's probably what makes the whole idea feasible - it's probably dirt cheap to rent stores these days, with most people going to shopping malls / hypermarchés and the Internet these days. And still better to have a JW magazine dump than a fake storefront: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/06/05/northern-ireland-fakes-it-for-g8-summit/

• *lost*
    *lost*

Businesses have to diversify when profits are down.

got to keep the cash coming in somehow.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Curious move considering all the tax issues JWs have had in France.

Although I noticed that they have "cours bibliques gratuits" (free Bible study) displayed quite prominently.

Good call Gayle, it does look a lot like a Christian Science Reading Room.

But it's really strange that it haw www.jw.org on the signage along with their logo instead of saying "Jehovah's Witnesses" in French (Les Témoins de Jéhovah). It's like they're hiding something.

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Why is jw.org silent about this shop? We need to know if this one is sanctioned by the Society and for what purpose it was put up. It would be premature for us to judge immediately w/out finding out the rationale of its existence.

On a positive note, this JW.net is really updated, as if there are field reporters deployed.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

So, what's the catch?

Is there a "reverse" ATM where passers-by are encouraged to deposit a "voluntary contribution" in exchange for a FREE bible course?

I don't get it...

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

The Society is already catching up with modern day branding efforts. Having jw.org on the signage is more subtle than having "Jehovah's Witnesses" prominently printed. I think they have consulted some branding experts on this venture.

If this one gets successful, perhaps in attracting interested ones and raising funds by way of voluntary donations, we will surely see replication in France and in other parts of Europe.

• Simon
    Simon
    Having jw.org on the signage is more subtle than having "Jehovah's Witnesses" prominently printed

Interesting that they chose to promote a domain name more than Jehovah's name ...

I think generally this is an attempt to look more main-stream, less cooky and possibly have some "social contributions" they can point to when it comes to charitable status: "look, we provide free bible access !"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit