Do you go to Kroger/Publix/Wal Mart?

by Iamallcool 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I usually shop for most things at Wal Mart but I have learned some things at Publix and Kroger are cheaper than Wal Mart. If you are conscious shopper, tell me what things do you buy at each store to save some money! I am thinking about being a member of BJ, if you know of any good deals at BJ, let me know too. Thanks!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I try to avoid all of those stores simultaneously. I really try not to support Wal mart.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Fred Meyers is part of the Kroger chain and I've had two kids (one still is an employee there) working for Freddies. I've met so many of the employees through my kids and even attended a 5 year anniversary dinner as a guest of my kid and I got the feeling that it was a very family like company.

I shop there and because of my kids have been informed of some really great sales ~ 70% off sometimes! ~ on various things like Sketchers shoes and also electronics items. If you hit the sales, there are usually some great deals on name brand items. They have a great nutrition center and carry foods for those of us who are trying to eat more healthy at a usually better price than say New Seasons.

I have only shopped at Walmart when I'm out of town visiting my family mostly because it is in walking distance to my mothers place. I don't shop at the Walmart near me because it is just down the road from the Freddies where my son works.........loyalty thing. In Arizona, Fry's is also a Kroger store and they also have the best in fresh veggies (IMO) better by far than Wal-mart!

Guess that's pretty much a vote for Kroger!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

We go to Publix.

And, We use some GREAT websites to SAVE $$$ on groceries. We am not affiliated with them. We only save money when we use it.

First, www.buildamenu.com It's $8 a month, less if you buy more months. You punch in your grocery store, including Walmart. It then gives you choices of styles of eating (from Left to Right, i.e. Vegan, clean eating, family style, slow cooker, manly man, grilling, party, desserts, lunches, breakfasts, dinner, low budget, etc.). Within each choice are dishes based on your store's weekly sale. You choose portions, 1-2 or 3-4, you want to make. It totals how much your grocery bill will be, by item. It's been 99% accurate. It builds a grocery & recipe list. All of this is "done" in 5 minutes. Longest part is choosing which delicious food you want to cook. The dishes have all been a hit, never disappointed. One of the biggest, unexpected hits was a zuchinni soup. It was Indian in flavor and absolutely wonderful. It was in the clean eating. Best of all, the mystery of "what to make for dinner" is solved.

Second, www.iheartpublix.com (there is also an iheartkroger.com) It matches the store's sales with online and paper coupons.

Many times, fruits and veggies are cheaper, better, and locally grown at a stand. If it's in season, eat it.

Hope this helps some of you.

Skeeter

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I avoid wal mart , it is my last stop but there are specific things I do go there for.

First overall stop is the local produce stand.

First store stop is Aldi- bare bones store but cheap and it is owned by Trader Joes. They have awesome chocolate there.

Next are the stores that double coupons and have sales. I try hard to stock up on some things with sales and coupons. Wal mart is more expensive in many things.

Publix has good sales. I wish we still had a Krogers here. I go to BiLo. Sometimes go to Wholefoods, or Earhtfare but only for special things.

• Mum
    Mum

Smith's is the name of the Kroger franchise here in Nevada. It is the nearest grocery store to home, so I do a lot of shopping there. I loathe Wal-Mart and refuse to shop there, although I understand that in some places there is little or no other choice.

To me, it is more important to find things on sale than to choose a retailer. I buy lots of clothing at thrift stores - designer clothing and handbags for a song! I also like to buy children't clothes at thrift stores.

• blondie
    blondie

Just Wal-mart but we hardly ever go there; only if they are the only ones that carry our vitamins...been buying online lately.

Too far north for Publix and the last Kroger here was firebombed in 1970.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

WalMart has frozen Crab legs, that I buy, steam and enjoy. The price varies between $18.00 (on sale) to $22.00 per bag.

Just Lois

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague... and won't date women who shop there either... for reals..

We have Winco here in Idaho.. they are emloyee owned and only in Washinton Idaho Nevada Colorado, Oregon .. WINCO

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Looks like they're ready in case Montana ever joins up: WINCOM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit