UN (again!)

by zound 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• zound
    zound

Hi guys, I'm new to the site.

Sorry to bring up an old topic. But just wondering if anyone knew if the brochure referred to in the infamous UN letter of 2004 is available to read anywhere?

This is the brochure of 1991 (before the supposed "changed language that we cannot subsribe to")

Also, the Watchtower claim in writing that they never had to sign anything - is this just an outright lie?

• zound
    zound

Oops, I put this in the wrong section. If a moderator wants to move it that would be great.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Welcome Zound. Glad to have you here with us. There is quite a bit of info on the website below.

I'm not sure if it has the info you seek on the UN & WTBT$

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/united-nations-association.php

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hello Zound,

Also, here's a "wealth" of information/links Lady Lee posted on one convenient thread from JWN regarding the UN debacle. There's also debates there which debunk any excuse.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/best-of/76847/1/The-Best-of-WTS-and-the-UN

• zound
    zound

Thanks guys.

I've searched JWfacts but couldn't find that brochure.

Also, lots of those links in the best of don't work. I did find the answer to them not having to sign anything - which is probably true as the application form I looked at didn't have a signiture part.

But still looking for that grochure.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I moved it for you.

Thanks for putting up the link.

To actually get to the threads you need to copy and paste the title of the thread and do a Google search.

I don't know that it was a brochure. I think it was an Awake that praised the UN to show its "support" and therefore fulfill its part of the UN agreement. That Awake is probably listed in those files

a quote:

"… the appropriate role for the Vatican is that of a NGO—the same as all the other NGOs representing Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Bahais and other religious organisations." -UN official . --From an article in the November 22 nd , 2000, Awake, dealing with the movement to remove the Vatican from its UN seat. The WBTS were also an NGO at this stage…

Preparation for NGO Status

Before being accepted for NGO status the Society, in common with other applicants, had to demonstrate their commitment and ability to work with the UN and they had to submit at least six examples of how they were promoting the UN’s activities (highlighted on next page). Various articles in the Watchtower and Awake, which highlighted the work of the United Nations, fulfilled this requirement.

-------------------------

Fulfilling obligations to the UN

In addition to the requirements via their application, having acquired NGO status it was necessary to send the DPI proof that they were informing the public about the UN’s many programs. It is reasonable to suggest that the Society wrote articles for that very purpose. Indeed had they not wilfully produced such material they could not have maintained NGO status. Nothing else can explain the appearance of articles that appeared in their publications presenting the UN in a positive light. As an example, the November 22, 1998, Awake! Magazine was devoted to praising the UN’s Declaration of Human Rights on the 50 th anniversary of its signing. The UN were so taken with that article it listed that particular Awake on its website.

----------------------------------

• Scott77
    Scott77

Preparation for NGO Status

Before being accepted for NGO status the Society, in common with other applicants, had to demonstrate their commitment and ability to work with the UN and they had to submit at least six examples of how they were promoting the UN’s activities (highlighted on next page). Various articles in the Watchtower and Awake, which highlighted the work of the United Nations, fulfilled this requirement.

-------------------------

Fulfilling obligations to the UN

In addition to the requirements via their application, having acquired NGO status it was necessary to send the DPI proof that they were informing the public about the UN’s many programs. It is reasonable to suggest that the Society wrote articles for that very purpose. Indeed had they not wilfully produced such material they could not have maintained NGO status. Nothing else can explain the appearance of articles that appeared in their publications presenting the UN in a positive light. As an example, the November 22, 1998, Awake! Magazine was devoted to praising the UN’s Declaration of Human Rights on the 50 th anniversary of its signing. The UN were so taken with that article it listed that particular Awake on its website.

Lady Lee,

Thanks for the updates. Please, can someone with inside knowledge of the working of the United Nation order the UN to release everything documents submitted by the Watchtower in their application for UN membership?

Scott77

• mind blown
    mind blown

Is this what you're looking for?

This letter issued by the WTS states the UN changed rules to use their Library in 1991:

• Scott77
    Scott77

Thanks mind blown. Now we need the actual copy of application form, what was filed in, who signed, supporting documentations, etc .

Scott77

• zound
    zound

Thanks for the replies, good info. Not the exact thing I was after though (it may not be available, just thought I'd ask you guys)

Below is a quote from the standard public letter from the UN on inquiry:

"Please be informed that it is the policy of of DPI to keep correspndance between NGO's confidential...... However please see paragraph included in all letters sent to NGO's approved for association in 1992:

'The blablablablaba......... We are enclosing a brochure on the "The United Nations and Non-Governmental Organizations" , which will give you some information regarding the NGO relationship.'"

So they sent the Watchtower Society a Brochure that goes into more detail about NGO status. I've seen some exerts of more recent brochures that are sent to NGO's, but not one circa 1991. Which the Watchtower society claims by inference that it 'contained no language that they could not adhere to'.

The excerts I read of the newer versions of course DO say about supporting the charter etc. I'd be interested to track down that brochure that was sent out during 1991-1992.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit