AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Cedars,

I have a question on your last response about the name. Initially I didn't have any reaction to the name, but after reading some comments of others and more about what AAWA hopes to do, it prompted a couple of thoughts. While I am with you about how you either view the Watchtower as harmful or you don't, what about groups you hope to engage with, such as the media, abuse survivor groups, and others? Is there any concern about their reacting to the name? I would not expect that they would all view the Watchtower as harmful off the bat, and I hope the name wouldn't turn them off from giving you a voice. Sure, we can all get on board with a group about "anti-racism" or "against drunk driving," but I wonder if the media might shy away from engaging with a group with a name like "anti-Catholic" or "anti-Mormon" due to concerns about religious tolerance, and might view this group's name like the ones in the latter category? Just thinking out loud here...

• cedars
    cedars

Chaserious

While I am with you about how you either view the Watchtower as harmful or you don't, what about groups you hope to engage with, such as the media, abuse survivor groups, and others? Is there any concern about their reacting to the name?

Thanks, those are good points. I personally don't think our name would make journalists and outside organizations turn away from us. According to my sources we are already making headway in establishing links with the ICSA and SNAP. I think most journalists are aware that there is something sinister about the Watchtower from my own experience. They just don't write about them much because it's a tiny religion. This doesn't stop them writing about Scientology of course, but that's a little different. Scientology's beliefs are more wacky and their opponents are more vocal. We hope to similarly turn the heat up on Watchtower, and thus drive the agenda for the media somewhat. I'm fairly certain that as our group grows in membership and popularity and starts to flex its muscles, people/organizations will hear our message first and this will then influence their reaction to the name.

Cedars

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Just my 2 cents. The name could potentially be an obstacle. I showed my still active but wavering wife the video last night and she remarked that even though the efforts are noble that the name validates the stereotype of angry anti watchtower activists. It's funny how our perspective changes as we learn the ttatt.

After sleeping on it this morning she made the same comment. That said, count me in. I have sent in my application.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks siam.

I can't really add to what I've already said about the name in my last two posts. I suppose only time will tell just whether or not our name is an obstacle. The important thing is we are Anti-Watchtower - not Anti-JW. We also have a reform element whereby we shut up shop if they drop the 5 key policies we have identified. Once people do a little digging, hopefully they will realise there is nothing sinister or malevolent in our efforts. We're just saying it like it is.

Cedars

• flipper
    flipper

CEDARS- I think this is a really great idea in order to provide support to people exiting the Witnesses already and providing support for those who have been victimized especially in the manner of the 5 points you bring up in your website concerning the crimes and inhumane actions by the WT Society towards members.

There are many who may need the support of being in a " group " or " association " in order to accomplish such work. There are many who are doing what they can individually to free people's minds and to shed the real light on the criminality of the WT Society. Both avenues are great. Some of us who have been members of " organizations " before may have an aversion to joining any " organization " due to having experienced ill treatment . That doesn't mean those kind of people don't support your cause. But just feel they will work individually to help as many as they can to have free minds.

I tend to agree with some here who have concerns about the name of the group " Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists ". If we believe as Steve Hassan says that people exiting mind control cults like Jehovah's Witnesses tend to have phobias and fears that dwell in them- I believe the title of this Association may scare some from checking out your great information available to them. Perhaps a title such as " Free Resource for Inactive or Exiting Jehovah's Witnesses " or " Safe Haven & Outreach for Exiting JW's " may incline more exiting JW's to look into it.

Hey, don't get me wrong, it's your folks association and you can call it what you want ( and I fully support your efforts and what you are accomplishing ) however if the effect is to give support to exiting JW's it may make some nervous about looking into it according to HOW they've been mind controlled and indoctrinated.

I commend you that there is an option for some to anonymously support this association if they still have JW relatives on the inside who they wish to keep ties with. I agree that using the " anti-WT " term may be compared to using " anti-racism " - however most people assume that racism is evil and needs to be removed. Unfortunately some mind controlled JW's who are newly exiting JW land are still " sympathetic " towards their " fellow believers " in JW land and they may not view the WT Society as extreme as they do racism due to still being under mind control. Even some DFed persons who have been out for years are so mind controlled they still are blinded by WT Societys doctrines and policy's.

But I think you are doing a great thing in exposing the WT Society and by getting the word out to people in all walks of life, non-religious and otherwise hopefully also trying to get media attention in Internet or written news, or television- I hope you are able to accomplish the exposing of the WT Society on a large basis. It's a billion $$$$$ corporation which has existed for 134 years deceiving and duping not only it's members but the public. Anyway we can all expose it is a great thing, whether on n individual basis or as a group. Kind of my 2 cents here. Good luck to you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks flipper!

Cedars

• The Quiet One
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Awesome. I think Cedars response to the name choice was the post of the year! At some point, people have to take a stand...

• rocketman
    rocketman

After watching the video (which I couldn't do earlier today while at work) I have just one question:

Who's the pretty blond with the British accent?

Oh, and Cedars...cool hat!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Not me - not pretty, not blond and no accent well at least not one that I notice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit