Jury duty as a JW, were you summons for Jury service.

by jam 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

*** w97 4/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

"The Bible does not mention jury duty, so he cannot say, ‘It is against my religion to serve on any jury.’ "

So what about Christmas, Mothers day, Fathers day, Easter, Fireworks night, smoking, gambling etc.

Given the w97 quote, can we legitimately say "It's against my religion"?

Splash

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

In AZ [U.S.A] they used the driver's license list. I served on the COUNTY Grand Jury for 6 months because at the time, I had no excuse not to. But after my own research and asking a dear friend who was an elder. The Grand Jury was different than a regular trial hearing. You are only read details of a case and then you decide if there is enough evidence for it to go court.

I learned alot in that 6 months! I also learned which JW's had got arrested for DWI's/DUI's

• abilenetexas
    abilenetexas

When I was an active JW, I once served as the foreman on a jury. I had no problem with it, and I was never counseled about it, and I learned something valuable from the experience. I would welcome the opportunity to serve on a jury again.

• blondie
    blondie

At one point in the US, voting rosters were used alone but as time went by the jury pool got smaller and was not diversified enough. Where I live they added the driver pool.

It is now a personal choice for jws so it is not really accurate to ask to be excused for religious reasons....it has to be your personal decision. Older jws don't realize the change and an elder in one congregation said it was wrong....making it seem like something you could be df'd for.

I have been summoned for jury duty twice, willing to serve, not selected because of my deep and pervasive contacts in the legal system.

Added: The WTS does not want jws saying that they will not vote, serve on a jury, or be part of the military because their religious organization does not allow it......the WTS believes that would be them in a bad position with the government. It must appear to be an individual choice.

• sd-7
    sd-7

As a JW, I was called to jury duty but I kept careful documentation so they couldn't call me again until the two years were up. My understanding, at least for my experiences here in the U.S., is that they get you shortly after you visit the Department of Motor Vehicles; whether you're registered to vote or not has little or nothing to do with it. So...probably I'll be summoned to jury duty again next year after I renew my registration on my car.

I never had to even see the inside of a courtroom while I was a JW, but last year I was put on a 4-day trial, but after it was over, I was told that I was an alternate juror and would not partake in the final decision. To be honest, it would be nice to have the JW status so I could refuse it, but not so nice if they decided to put me in jail for it or something. Besides, I guess people have to be involved in the process if it is to work even to the extent that it does, so...I get it.

--sd-7

• titch
    titch

Most of my jury duty summonses have been of the "call-in" type, where I had to call the court each day, to see if my group number was needed the next day. The last time that I had to actually show up at the Superior Court, and assemble in a jury room/courtroom, was about 5 years ago. I was assigned to a court and case that involved a fellow who had been charged with resisting arrest, and in so doing, the police officer was injured. I was not chosen that day, but it was interesting to see the procedures that day. And, there was one lady who was called to the jury box. Both the prosecuting attorney and the defense attorney asked her if she could honestly render a verdict, based upon the the evidence that would be brought forth during the trial. She told both attorneys that she was a very devout Christian, and that "God" would reveal to her heart and mind, what the correct verdict should be. The defense attorney said something like, Well, I appreciate that you have a sincere religious belief, but do you think that you could render a decision based upon the evidence brought out at trial? Once again, she reiterated that she knew that God would tell her what the correct verdict should be. Well, neither the defense attorney or the prosecuting attorney wanted her as a juror, and she was dismissed. Imagine that, a woman who believes that she has a direct "pipeline" to God, who would inform her what the proper verdict should be! So, next time, if you really, REALLY don't feel like serving on a jury, try the "devout religionist " route, with some deity letting you know what the verdict should be! It just might get you dismissed!BTW, I have no idea if that woman was truly sincere, or was completely dishing out "b.s." But, whatever the case, she was not chosen to serve on THAT jury. But, try that "route" sometime, and see what happens.

Titch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit