Crazy Religions

by Qcmbr 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I was reading a good article regarding the relative 'craziness' of faiths (Blog) and they mentioned a lot about Mormons. In short they talked about the socially accepted craziness (as opposed to actual mental illness) of mainstream , culturally accepted faiths V those that are relatively new. We see Scientology as more crazy than Catholicism IF we fall into the trap of judging without consideration but when examined all religions have very crazy elements. Mormons have weird underwear but Catholics cannibalise magic bread to flesh wafers. JWs don't take blood but Hindus bathe in a sh*t filled, dirty river. The author makes the very valid point that our craziness extends well beyond religious observance and the example of clothing is pointed to where we see Victorian's tight, health endangering , organ damaging corsets as crazy but then encourage today's women to wear high heels which damage their feet. I found it quite a good reminder that craziness is all around us and we quite often engage in it without much thought, plus all religions and faiths are fundamentally equally crazy.

Amen.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

If there's one thing that separates humans from the rest of the animals, it's that humans behave in irrational, downright crazy ways.

My parakeet wouldn't dream of wearing a corset or tight high heels or mascara (she has eyelashes), or rouging her beak, or attending a Birds for Christ church.

She is sweet to everyone who treats her kindly. She is beautiful without trying to artifically increase her beauty. She concerns herself with the basic things of life -- food, water, love, and play. She is a better animal than I am, in every way.

Now ... who's the smarter species?

• tec
    tec

plus all religions and faiths are fundamentally equally crazy.

What a statement. And you worry about me?

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Did you read the article?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Qcmbr: "... plus all religions and faiths are fundamentally equally crazy."

tec: "What a statement. And you worry about me?"

I agree with Qcmbr. All religions have an underlying premise that is irrational and unprovable. However, the leaders of religions differ in how much personal freedom they allow their followers and how much dissidence they allow.

Example: I'm sure there are exceptions, but one can remain a Catholic even if they disagree with some Catholic doctrines. Not true for dubs and other cults.

But basically, them religions be crazy, Jack.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Craziness is one thing. How about control? Organizations practice various levels of control. Guilt is probably the weakest coercive technique and even mothers have been known to resort to it. But how about threatening excommunication and cut-off from family and friends?

I think that would put some crazy churches in to the dangerous category, Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses included.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I agree that dangerous religions are a different question , a religion like early Mormonism and the Heavens Gate group are extremely dangerous ( Mormonism almost tipped into full scale totalitarian hell) whereas some seem far more benign. The underlying justifications and regular practice is just as 'crazy' even if not harmful ( Mormon knickers never killed anything more serious than the odd romantic evening.) I find believing in a supernatural voices just as bonkers as sacrifing a pigeon to divine the future etc.

• tec
    tec

Yeah, I read it. I get why you agree with it; it reflects what you think. (does agreeing with this make you a disciple of this person, btw?)

I stand by what I stated above.

Peace,

tammy

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Qcmbr, I was away from the board for several years (I was Parakeet). When I came back this January, I found you had left the LDS and become an atheist. Did you ever tell the story of how that happened? If so, can you give me the thread? If not, maybe you can tell it sometime soon. I'm sure it's an interesting and enlightening one.

I admire that you recognized the flaws in religion (which the article cites) and elected to live life as rationally as is possible for human beings.

BTW, do you still call Jon Krakauer, "Krakpot Krakauer"? (Just teasing. )

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I agree with the idea that religions can be viewed as crazy but when stepping back we can see that lots of religions have equally unfounded and bizarre behaviours. In addition to this I agree with the article's author that crazy behaviour is also seen in wider society such as in clothing.

As for discipleship I think you are being deliberately naive which leaves you either in the camp of being slightly devious or if you genuinely think posting an article is enough to denote discipleship then you aren't as on the ball as I give you credit for. I do think your support of AG which has moved beyond simple sympathy now to the stage where you are getting divine messages of support for her and of which you need to testify as a witness does place you into a disciple relationship. This is only a bad thing if you don't want to be her disciple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit