Conversation with my JW co-worker!

by Kool Jo 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Good day…so this is the conversation I had with a co-worker of mine I mentioned in an earlier thread…she’s a JW and doesn’t know that I was associated with the JW’s before and that I’m a fader. She’s a good coworker, who once resigned to learn ASL & pioneer….she quickly came to her senses and reapplied for her job in realizing she needs money to survive!

Now I must admit, I was attracted to her prior to knowing that she was a JW…but since I’ve found out she’s a JW, I mainly talk to her about work related stuff…however, a discussion came up at work pertaining to religion & out of the blue she asked me my opinion. Below is the conversation that followed:

JW co-worker: It’s so unbelievable that people don’t believe in God, after all when I studied science in school, I was so amazed by the human body! What do you think Kool Jo?

Kool Jo: (Totally caught off guard & was on my tablet browsing JWN): Well you know..there are various reasons why persons aren’t interested in religion nor God. As a matter of fact, as time goes by, I think religion will continue to see a decline! Many people see the hypocrisy in religion, child abuse, and extravagant lifestyle by various religious leaders and as such aren’t interested.

JW co-worker: Well you know Kool Jo, just like how a banker studies a genuine note; he will know that any other bill will be counterfeit, so you just need to study the real note. In a similar manner, when you study the true religion, you'll know that all others are false!

Kool Jo: (I couldn’t help but chuckle inside, because I worked in a bank for a few years whilst attending college…besides I knew this would be the typical JW response) You know, my uncle is agnostic and thinks realistically. For example, many persons wonder why if there is a God so much suffering exists? Let me ask you JW co-worker, if I were a billionaire and I knew that you were going to be hungry tonight, what point would I be proving if I allowed you to go hungry? Do people have to go church to live a moral life? Did you that many persons have long lasting marriages/relationships without going to church or studying the Bible!

JW co-worker: Well you know, those are really good questions, but JW’s have been able to answer such questions to those who listen to us!

Kool Jo: So what do you think about the child abuse that takes place in churches?

JW co-worker: Well, people are imperfect, and the difference with JW’s are that we take stuff like that very serious.

Kool Jo: The other thing that people dislike about religion is their involvement in wars and their followers not being open to think outside of what they’re being taught at church.

JW co-worker: That’s true….anyways Kool Jo, it was great talking to you, but I have some paperwork to go file.

Kool Jo: (There wasn’t any paperwork to file as it was 07:00AM) Ok take care and enjoy your day!

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

So that was the conversation that lasted a few minutes, but her body language suggests that she was thinking for a few minutes and then went back into the JW defensive mode.

This was the conversation the following morning:

Kool Jo: Good morning, how are you doing?

JW co-worker: I’m ok, but I feel like I coming down with a cold.

Kool Jo: Someone partied too late last night?

JW co-worker: That’s a good joke Kool Jo, but you know, as a JW, I speak to people about my beliefs. After leaving work at 3PM, I was out until 9PM talking to the neighbors & into the local shopping district (a JW hangout spot for a few of the local congregations). It started to rain & I got soaked, I even had to wear a different pair of shoe at work today! Hopefully, I won’t feel sick.

Kool Jo: I’m so sorry to hear…please take some vitamins and get some rest later when you go home!

JW co-worker: This evening I have meetings at my local Kingdom Hall, so I have a long night.

Kool Jo: Ok then, take good care of yourself!

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I don’t know what to think of my co-worker:

- On her profile, she talks some crap about everlasting life…however, one of her pics that she has up shows her with the peace sign up in the air..some elders would consider that to be “wordly”

- She attends various concerts…Celine Dion, ect

- Neither of her parents are JW, she lives with her grandma who’s a JW…neither of her 2 siblings are JW...her younger brother got into trouble with the Law a couple times after he stabbed someone.

- She proudly tells her co-workers that she’s waiting on a JW to get into a relationship with.

P

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Wow! I just realized how very annoying I must have been when I was trying to witness to my co-workers back in the day.

The experience of looking in from the outside and knowing what we know if very interesting though isn't it? When I talk to witnesses now who do not know I was one, I am immediately drawn to their glazed over eyes and can see the wheels in thier mind turning, trying to come up with the next convincing thing to say.

Really, I don't know how you did not stop and laugh your head off.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

you should start showing her stuff you just googled... since she peaked your interest in JW'S ... see her reactions to say conti verdict

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

>> - She attends various concerts…Celine Dion, ect

Run!

• trujw
    trujw

Why not ask her about her beliefs then leave it at that. A few days later say I thought about what you said and have a few questions. Then maybe bring up some things about their past mistakes you read about online. I was thinking this generation will by NO means pass away and quote the 1984 watchtower with all the old people on it so she can look it up. Then you can ask if they were wrong about that how do you know that what you believe now wont change? Does truth change?

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

An idea! Tell her that you heard Fred Franz giving a speech on the internet and that you think he has a distinguished speaking voice. Then play her F Franz talking up 1975 at the District Convention.

• Listener
    Listener

This is typically a JW notion and happens to be very offensive -

JW co-worker: Well, people are imperfect, and the difference with JW’s are that we take stuff like that very serious

I would ask her how do they take it more seriously than others.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

You need to do some witnessing! Since she brought her religion up, time to SLOWLY share with her things you have come across about jw's after your conversations with her. She made you curious, so you did some research.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Run, Kool Jo, run, run.

RUN before it's too late.

She doesn't have anywhere else to go except the cult.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Kool Jo, Your JW co-worker's behavior is very typical and predictible if you use Steve Hassan's model to understand dangerous cult members behavior. JWs have an authentic persona and a cult persona, so they may appear like two different people.

Since cult members' behavior is predictible, you need to be flexible to penetrate her defenses. I would recommend reading Steve Hassan's books (especially his latest book "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visiting his website, and/or watching the following video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw-oF-Z_I7U

If you ask her about Candace Conti's case, first provide her specific examples about how the Catholic Church protected pedophile priests from law enforcement, ask her how she feels religions could protect children, and get her to talk about how she would feel if the Watchtower and its leaders protected pedophiles from being prosecuted. After she tells you about her feelings, then show her a news article about Candace Conti being awarded millions of dollars and ask her simple question about whether the Watchtower should be prosecuted for protecting that pedophile. If she remains silent, let her think until she says something in defense of the Watchtower or that she has to do paperwork, and then ask her simple questions such as why she is avoiding answering your question. Remember be flexible and be prepared to respond for predictible JW defenses such as platitudes, running away, and rationalizations.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit