The Other Side of the Indian Rape Story

by fulltimestudent 86 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm posting this story, not to defend an indefensible act, but to try to provide some balance. The fact is that so many Indians exist in a poverty so deep that it's difficult for westerners to even understand. The youngest of the rapists in the now world known rape story, according to this UK, Independent newspaper story, grew up in that world that seems hopeless. Also, for males who exist in that world, satisfaction of their personal sexual needs is as far off as their next meal. I think we should also appreciate that there is little in their future that may give hope of change.

The Independent tells the story better than I can, so here it is:

REFERENCE: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/a-mothers-story-of-the-young-man-india-wants-to-hang-after-gangrape-that-shocked-a-nation-8448660.html

A mother's story of the young man India wants to hang after gang-rape that shocked a nation

To India he's a monster, the juvenile who committed a horrific crime. But to his mother he's still Bhura, the boy she was forced to abandon at 11 years old

ANDREW BUNCOMBE

UTTAR PRADESH - FRIDAY 11 JANUARY 2013

His mother lies shrunken and despairing, shrouded in blankets on a straw mattress. For her, the young man who went by the nick-name "Bhura", or "brown", was her first-born joy, a flash of happiness in a hard-edged world until she was forced to send him away to work in Delhi at the age of 11. For several years afterwards she had no idea he was alive or dead.

But to the world, gripped by the recent rape and murder of a Delhi student, the 17-year-old bus attendant from Uttar Pradesh represents little less than the essence of evil. In briefings to the media, police have suggested this teenager was among the most savage of the six attackers, luring the student and her male companion aboard a bus with his "sing-song" call before twice raping her and internally assaulting her with an iron bar.

Indeed, his alleged viciousness was so bad that the family of the murdered student has said he ought not to be treated as a juvenile as demanded by law, but, if convicted, should instead face the death penalty. "He is well aware of what is right and wrong," the student's brother told reporters.

In the days since the attack on 16 December, much has been written about how the 23-year-old physiotherapy student embodied the "new India". Her family's decision to sell a plot of land in eastern Uttar Pradesh (UP) to allow them to move to Delhi, and for her to be educated, underscored the opportunities newly available in this rapidly developing nation.

If that is true, then Bhura's story equally represents the story of old India, of lives enveloped by poverty and hardship and of chances limited by the centuries-old constraints of caste, religion and bad luck. He too migrated to Delhi for economic reasons but unlike the family of the student, he was unable to make the leap.

The teenager belongs to a Muslim caste that in India has traditionally been associated with the pressing of vegetable oils. The family home near the town of Islam Nagar in western UP is among the poorest in the village and consists of two rooms, covered in thatch and plastic sheeting.

When The Independent visited earlier this week, the teenager's mother was lying on a bed under a lean-to, and said she had not had a meal since the previous day. She said the family did not always eat every day and at one point she fainted, apparently from hunger. Her husband was lying on a cot a few feet away. She said he had mental health problems. A tethered buffalo stood in the yard. The woman said she had a total of five children, two younger sons and two girls aged 11 and 13. With her husband unable to work and with Bhura no longer at home, her two daughters were the only source of income, each earning 50 rupees a day (55p) as labourers in the fields.

She said her first-born son had been a quiet, docile boy who never created problems. For a year-and-a-half he attended the village school but dropped out after he was beaten by a teacher. At the age of 11, a family member arranged a job for him, working in a rough-and-ready eatery in the east of Delhi.

"I felt good when he was born," said his mother, her sunken eyes all but covered behind a green shawl. "At the age of 11, I had to put him in the eatery to work. I did not want to but I put him there to work."

She said for the first few years he was in Delhi, Bhura sent home much-needed money. Then he stopped. They tried to contact him but were unable to. "For the last [few] years we thought he was dead. Then the Delhi police came here and started asking about him," she said.

The eatery where Bhura was employed cleaning plates and serving food is located in the east of the city, an area dominated by roads and fly-overs. The skyline is dominated by a huge, mountainous rubbish dump where a thousand birds of prey hover in the breeze.

While its proper name is Bharkat's, it is known locally as Mullah-ji's and serves "Muslim" food, such as minced lamb and stewed brains.

"He was very loyal and hard-working. He worked here for two years. When he said he was leaving, I offered him more money but he decided he did not want to work in an eatery," said the owner, Islam Uddin.

It appears that Bhura's family may have been tipped-off about an opening for a young boy by another young man from the same village who left for Delhi several years earlier and who works in a recycling shop next door. Subash Gupta said that Bhura worked seven days a week, from 8am to 11pm with just two days holiday, when he was allowed to mark the Eid festival. He was paid R2,500 (£28) plus food, and was allowed to sleep in the restaurant.

"He was a very good worker. There are no jobs in the village so people come to the city to earn," said Mr Gupta. "It's a poor man's village. If his family had money he would not have home here."

Mr Gupta said he had not seen the slightly-built Bhura for 18 months after he left the eatery, yet he said he could not believe the teenager was involved in the rape. "He did what he was supposed to do. I do not think it is at all possible," he said.

Reports in the Indian media suggest after leaving Mullah-ji's, Bhura got a job washing buses, and later as a bus driver's assistant, not far from the Anand Vihar inter-state bus terminal. Reports say it was while working there that he got to know Ram Singh, another of the accused, who worked driving a private bus. He had got to know him so well that at some point he had leant the older man R8,000 (£90). A few days before the attack on the student, Bhura had gone to Mr Singh's shack in the poor Ravi Das colony area in south Delhi to collect it and had slept in his bus.

According to several reports, on 16 December, when Mr Singh, Bhura and four others set out for a drunken joy-ride, it was Bhura who called out to the medical student and her male companion as they made their way home from watching a film, encouraging them to board the bus.

Two days after the attack, the teenager was arrested at the Anand Vihar bus terminal, apparently trying to leave the city.

Reports containing gruesome details have portrayed Bhura as one of the most brutal of the assailants. Yet, according to someone who has seen the official charge-sheet relating to the five adults, the boy is not mentioned. It is likely police will file a separate charge-sheet at a juvenile court hearing that has been arranged for 15 January. A spokesman for the Delhi police, Rajan Bhagat, declined to comment.

Reports said the teenager has been attacked several times by other juvenile inmates while in custody, twice having to be moved. This week, he was taken to Delhi's Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for appendicitis. It is not clear whether his condition is linked to alleged abuse he suffered while awaiting his hearing. A hospital employee yesterday confirmed the operation had been completed.

The arrest of the juvenile has triggered fierce debate within India about what punishment might be appropriate if he is found guilty. Some have called for the authorities to lower the age at which a defendant is considered a juvenile to 16. The maximum punishment available for a juvenile is three years in custody.

Meanwhile, the authorities are still seeking confirmation of the teenager's age. If he is found to be 18, he will be tried as an adult and could face the death penalty. As part of this, they have ordered tests of the teenager's bones and have summoned the principal of the village school.

The teacher, Yatindra Mohan, said he already provided the school-log and would attend the hearing next Tuesday to provide further details. He said: "I have to appear again."

• pixel
    pixel

Yes. Now hang them. Including the little bas*!rd "teenage".

• perfect1
    perfect1

full time student- I really dont get your agenda. But I am sure you have one.

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks for giving us balance. Yeah.....now I can at least understand his background and why he did this barbarous act. You sound like a dickhead.

• cofty
    cofty

for males who exist in that world, satisfaction of their personal sexual needs is as far off as their next meal

Please tell us what you mean here?

• bohm
    bohm

millions of people live in inhumane povertry but do not rape and murder, what about telling their story instead of associating a worthy cause to these dipshits?

• tornapart
    tornapart

Not sure how being poor and not having opportunities for sex or being young makes it excusable for someone to rape, torture and murder someone else... how can there be any balance in that?! I'm sure the parents of the young girl will want justice and if that means hanging then he should hang. He knew what he was doing.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea and your daughter is safe right? It's easy to throw out a theory like that when your family isn't affected.

Having read your little post, I find myself that much less intelligent for the effort. Thank you for the brain damage.

• designs
    designs

There was no economic advantage for this violent and lethal act, no sexual satisfaction for raping the young woman with metal rods. This was premeditated, these men thought out and planned this act.

I would imagine that the village he came from and his parents cannot believe this person capable of such violence but if the forensics and other evidence proves he was involved they will have a very difficult time ahead.

India does have outsized social ills and cultural practices that dehumanize its people. They have to continue their national evolution as we did with Civil Rights Laws, Human Rights Laws, and economic developement.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

First - the story was run in The Independent, a (I think) a good 'thoughtful' newspaper. I spoke to their facts, not mine.

My 'agenda' is simply to understand - I do not condone the rape, I made that clear in the first line. And, the thread on that particular incident that I started ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/244166/1/Sexual-Violence-and-Contempt-for-Women-A-World-wide-Problem ) attempted to show the depth of this problem that exists even within our own world.

I would now like to add, that if you guys cannot get, that all the world is not like our own self-satisfied, over-stuffed society, then you ought to travel the entire world in bare-feet in atonement for your sin of arrogance.

And Cofty - who I deeply respect from past association. The problem of sex is that we have sexual desires. Do you remember being 17/18? It's alright to say that we have to have self-control - but even for educated people who have the hope of a life of comparative fulfillment, that can be difficult - witness the 'footballer' rapes that bedevil professional sport. The interplay in those rapes between the victims and the victors is most complex. And, remember that even in Yahweh's paradisaical organisation, 'illegal' (i.e. officially unapproved) in which the two parties, cannot control their desires, 'unapproved' sex is the largest reason for ex-communication.

But to come to the point, for this young man to marry, a complex process would have to occurr. A process involving his parents, a probably marriage facilitator and most important a dowry. Consider the family, what chance do you think that that process could occur. So the reality is that there is almost zero chance that he could ever look forward to marriage. So what next? Prostitution? That requires some surplus money. Even poor prostitutes want to be paid - and the sex industry is big-time in India. What's left? Poor people copulating - both Muslims and Hindu cultural outlooks mitigate against that. The final possibility - male-male sex play. Yes that occurrs, but if your desire is for a woman, its relief, but no satisfaction.

But, above all - why should I have to defend posting a news story that adds to understanding?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit