Daily Bible Reading and some thoughts

by metaspy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• metaspy
    metaspy

OK, I have been doing some daily Bible reading because it was recommended to me. Basically to try to eliminate my PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) of the Bible by confronting it. (And trust me there is plenty of flashbacks and memories associated with certain scriptures)
    Anyway, I ran across a scripture which peaked my interest 2 Thess 3:14, 15 - which basically states not to associate with those who do not follow the writings of the Bible, but don't treat them as an enemy - treat them as a brother.
    It made me think of how the JWs treat "apostates". They are the enemy - Evil people who are in the ranks of Satan. Yet, that scripture says they should be doing the exact opposite.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's a "see it's not so scary" kind of thing?

Notice how the WTS takes a bible verse and wraps it in a monster. A plain reading of the text is completely different.

Might it help also to read chapter summaries that give context to the passages; where it fits in history, the cultural norms at the time?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Good advise jgnat. At face value some scriptures do sound wrong and scary. But when all things are taken into consideration (history,culture,context,and language) the myths are quite easily dispelled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit