Jehovah's Witnesses View of Jesus Compared to the Early Church

by cofty 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The "truth" about John1:1 is by no means beyond dispute. This is a way to avoid all of that.

Within the context of the GOJ, it is clear that 1:1 is a statement on the nature of the divine Logos that became incarnate in Jesus.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

PS: What I believe Cofty is saying and I agree; the real issue to discuss with JWs is not whether Jesus is God. That's a waste of time and a rut many evangelicals insist on doing.

Now from my perspective: There are many people who believe the Trinity but do not know or have a relationship with Jesus Christ. It is sufficient for salvation to believe Jesus is the Son of God without fully grasping His ontology...if one has a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's not whether you see Jesus as God, but that you treat (honor) Him as you do God...by calling on His name for salvation; praising Him, worshipping Him, sharing ones deepest needs and burdens with Him and petitioning Him on behalf of self and others. Our fellowship is with Father and Son. JWs cannot have a biblically normative relationship with Jesus Christ...and as I see it, that is their biggest problem, spiritually speaking.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

van : i think i can agree with most of that, salvation is def not by head knowledge as jesus clearly showed the self rightous of his day(john 5:38-40) and at the same time if you have a relationship with jesus you need to know it is ur having a relationship with, and it is not micheal, so some sorta demy god!

• cofty
    cofty
    Better to stick with the fact that they do not have a biblically normative relationship with Jesus Christ. And yes, they would be totally out of place in any NT congregation. - Vanderhoven7

This!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Belief in any human doctrine is NOT essential for salvation, only belief is Christ is.

BUT what do we believe Christ to be?

The issue with the JW belief that Christ was created and was the archangel Michael is that not only does it have NO scriptural basis ( no where will you find mention that Jesus was created or that Jesus is the archangel Michael) but that viewing Christ as such is putting him in a role that is NOT of salvation and that is why JW's do not use Christ's name for salvation but use Jehovah.

They do NOT agree that salvation is in Christ's name, hence the changes in the NT passage of Romans 10:13.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JW's do not have a personal relationship with The Father, the Son or the HS, they have it with the WT.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

ps you said what i said only better lol

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I was agreeing with you :)

I think that it is very clear, and Cofty's original post is an excellent highlight of this, that JW's are not Christians in the sense that they based their salvation on Christ, they worship Jehovah and in HIM ONLY do they see salvation THROUGH the GB and WT.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Van.. I totally agree with you. That's exactly how I see it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<Belief in any human doctrine is NOT essential for salvation, only belief is Christ is.>>

I agree. But Christ never made the Trinity a doctrine.

I once met a Jewish Christian who spent an entire afternoon using creeds and scripture to convince us (an independant Bible Student assembly) that it was necessary to believe in the Trinity to be saved. As we drove him home, my brother asked him when he came to believe in the Trinity. "Oh", he said casually, "about a year after I got saved."

Then we all had a good laugh...well, him...not so much.

I came to embrace Christ's full deity years later myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit