Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Thanksgiving?

by God_Delusion 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Hi guys,

Being a Brit living abroad, I never really understood the whole Thanksgiving business.

I think growing up as a JW didn't help either. Anyway, I've rid myself of those JW shackles and have decided to take an interest into the goings on over the pond, especially as my favourite place on earth is Bar Harbor. A truly magical place.

Here's my rendition as to why JW's don't celebrate Thanksgiving. If you know of any other funny reasons, please do share them with us.

http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/cult/happy-thanksgiving-2012

Warm regards & happy Thanksgiving!
    Jaymes "Teeny Pyjamas" Payten

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't recall ever hearing the massacre story. I see that event occurred in Utah which was settled long after the "First Thanksgiving". While reprehensible I don't think it actually reflects on Thanksgiving's origins.

The reason we were given here in wt fundieland is:

-We thank jehoopla every day instead of those heathens who have to set aside certain days to remember to say thanks, ingrates that they are

-It's about gluttony which is a sin

-Celebrating holidays makes us the same as everyone else & we should be like the Jews who wore unfashionable fringe on their garments

-Pagans used to have feast days

Despite all that, many dubs here had the full traditional turkey dinner with each other, on the same day, and said that was ok to do. As long as we weren't giving a bad witness to our families by participating in the holiday with them.

Obviously this is all illogical. The real reason is this:

Social isolation is promoted. Contact with family and friends is abridged, as is contact with persons who do not share group-approved attitudes. [source]

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Same reason they don't celebrate anything else "worldy".

To socially isolate the R&F from non-JW acuaintences and family members as much as possible.

The WTS has as much as admitted it in a roundabout way.

• tiki
    tiki

it has political connections - it was made a national holiday - so observing it makes you a part of a political scheme of the devil's doing. plus - "we are thankful EVERYday for all of Jehovah's provisions" - again assuming that the rest of humanity has no sense of gratitude for what they eat, wear, have or do....

some go so far as to insist that no one visit eachother despite having time off from work...because a neighbor might see your car in someone's driveway and assume you are eating turkey and watching football. then there are those zealots who won't roast even a chicken on that day - the poultry relationship apparently is just too close for comfort.

Bar HArbor - in fact the entire coast of Maine is fabulous!!! but summers are way too short up there.

• designs
    designs

Because they are the biggest kil.joy religion around (with a few exceptions).

• princecharmant
    princecharmant

The Bible makes no mention of turkey, an animal most lacking in grace.

Noah did not have turkey in the Ark. The beast must have been created by Satan after the flood.

True Christians refrain from such idolatry, akin to worshipping the golden calf.

These and other revelations will soon be communicated when the Chariot comes a-galloping.

PC

• Terry
    Terry

If Christendom is fer it the JW's are agin it.

JW pretzel logic.

It's about control issues, too.

Part of the branding process.

Also, it reflects the superiority complex of the religious nut. "Jehovah's Witnesses give thanks EVERY day; we don't need a special holiday."

What about the National Day of Prayer? Nope. "Jehovah's Witnesses pray EVERY day' we don't need a special day."

Holier-than-thou.

• TheNurseInBlack
    TheNurseInBlack

Because it has pagan roots.

Just like everything else that we do. But they only look at the things they want.

Marriage has a ton of pagan roots but they still do it

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

However, it is a Holiday and most people have the day off from work. And usually you may be invited to someones house on Thanksgiving for lunch or dinner with a group of others. There's usually a turkey and lots of side dishes and deserts and festivities, but it's not Thanksgiving. It's just a meal, a gathering with friends. Turkey was on $ale. IT IS NOT THANKSGIVING!!!!

Oh, and the same thing occurs on Dec 25th, but it IS NOT CHRISTMAS!!! Turkey was on sale. It is just a gathering, etc.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Jehovah's Witnesses have nothing to thank Jehovah for yet. They will only have one thanks giving day.

They will thank Jehovah just as soon as he keeps his part of the pact and whisks them off to The New World.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit