January 2013 Watchtower - HAVE JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES GIVEN INCORRECT DATES FOR THE END?

by TheStumbler 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

I was just on the new JW.org site and I have to say, they've done a good job. It looks pretty sleek and is easy to navigate. The production values of their magazines (in particular the photos) seems to have improved since I last spent much time on the site.

Any way, the January 2013 Watchtower caught my attention so I downloaded the .PDf.

I saw this interesting admission underneath the first article 'The End of the World: Fear Fasination and Frustration'.

This article is ostensibly aimed at the public reader but I think also it has a few comments aimed at members as well:

The Bible likens the world’s destruction to the onset of labor—

the mother’s pain is inevitable and comes suddenly. The

time leading up to the end is also like a pregnancy, for an expectant

mother is aware of ever-increasing signs of the coming

birth. Her doctor might estimate the birth date; yet, even

if the event should delay, she would still be sure that her baby

will soon be born . Similarly, anymistaken expectations about

the end do not alter the unmistakable features identifying

these as “the last days.”—2 Timothy 3:1.

Under the subheading 'Have Jehovah's Witnesses Given Incorrect Dates for the End' the Watchtower amits its 'expectations' have been in error (without saying directly)

Jehovah’s Witnesses have had wrong expectations about when the end would come. Like Jesus’ first-century disciples, we have sometimes looked forward to the fulfilment of prophecy ahead of God’s timetable. (Luke 19:11; Acts 1:6; 2 Thessalonians 2:1, 2)

We agree with the sentiment of longtime Witness A. H. Macmillan, who said: “I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God’s Word for more enlightenment.” Why, then, do we continue to highlight the nearness of the end? Because we take seriously Jesus’ words: “Keep looking, keep awake.” The alternative,

to be found “sleeping” by Jesus, would prevent us from gaining his favor.

(Mark 13:33, 36) Why? Consider this example: A lookout in a fire tower might

see what he thinks is a wisp of smoke on the horizon and sound what proves to be a false alarm. Later, though, his alertness could save lives. Likewise, we have had some

wrong expectations about the end. But we are more concerned with obeying Jesus and saving lives than with avoiding criticism. Jesus’ command to “give a thorough witness” compels us to warn others about the end.—Acts 10:42. We believe that even more

important than focusing on when the end will come, we must be confident that it will

come, and we must act accordingly. We take seriously the words of Habakkuk 2:3,

which says: “Even if [the end] should delay [compared to what you thought], keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late.”

The paragraph extols the virtues of admitting one's own mistakes but ommits the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses' 'expectations' were based on the words of the Watchtower organisation and its leadership which claims to be God's channel of communication.

On a side note, I have been trying to research 'theocratic warfare'. I can't find any recent references to it in modern publications (not since the 1980s). Would your average rank and file witness be aware of theocratic warfare? Is it still taught?

Thanks

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They make mistakes, they deny the mistakes. Later, admitting they make mistakes, they praise themselves for admitting it. Yet, they don't mention the mistakes again because that would make them look bad.

• jam
    jam

In my Guitar class today we were playing Away in a

Manger. One of the members said, we are playing this

song to slow, Jesus will be a full grown man by the time we

are done. "Doctor might estimate the birth date, yet even if

the event should delay,( ok within a few days) she would still

be sure that her baby will soon be born". LOL

• TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

Maybe if the baby is 100 years over due then it's a phantom pregnancy?

• Pterist
  • Pterist
    Pterist

The Watchtower Theocratic War doctrine, which teaches that it is appropriate to withhold the truth from “people who are not entitled to it” if it will further the Watchtower’s interests (Reed, 1992; Reed, 1997, p. 129; see also Franz, 1971, pp. 1060-1061, and Raines, 1996c). In the Watchtower’s words, Witnesses are required to “use Theocratic War Strategy” against any and all persons who have a “wolf-like disposition,” defined as anyone who does not accept the Watchtower as God’s organization and the head of God’s people. All other religions are defined as evil and of Satan (Franz 1991;Watchtower May 1,1957, pp. 285-286 and p. 288 — this latter article was censored in new Watchtower reprints).

Reed defines Theocratic War Strategy as “hiding truth from persons not entitled to it—i.e., lying to outsiders when deemed necessary” (Reed, 1995, p. 40). He adds the Watchtower defines lying as “...deceiving outsiders to advance the organization’s interests. Falsehoods presented to God’s enemies are not considered lies, due to the state of war existing between God’s forces (the JWs) and Satan’s (the rest of the world).” In the words of Kotwall (1997, pp. 1-2) the Watchtower’s teaching “to lie and deceive in the interest of their religion is Scripturally approved. They call such lying theocratic war strategy.”

Wilson says:
    "Although a basic belief of Jehovah’s Witnesses is that liars will receive eternal death with no hope of a resurrection, exception is made when it comes to lying or pretending to be someone one is not if the purpose is for the good of the organization. An example of this sort of deception that I had personally experienced was the time a Witness friend invited me and several other Witnesses to her house when a Witness missionary was visiting her, as he was to give a slide presentation about his work in Israel … To protect the facility and the other Witnesses who were to live there, the Society instructed this missionary to pose as an eccentric millionaire who has a fetish about being clean, and to inform any inquirers that this was his own house that was being built. This story was fabricated to cover up the real purpose of the building—that of being a Watchtower factory having bedrooms with sinks in them to house the factory workers. This incident was another example of theocratic war strategy." (Wilson, 2002, p. 249)

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not always lie outright, but they often lie according to the court’s definition—not telling “the whole truth and nothing but the truth,” which means the court requires the whole story, not half-truths or deception. The Watchtower claims to condemn lying, but only lying as they define it, namely “saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person” (Franz, Vol. 2, 1988, p. 244, emphasis mine). The purpose of the oath is to discourage evading the truth by being truthful only in a narrow way.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

LOL @ TheStumbler Exactly!

They love to use illustrations like this or even one such as the host waiting for the dinner guests to arrive.

What they fail to interject is logic. How long should one wait after the perceived or obvious "delay"? At a certain point it only makes sense to give up.

Jackholes.

• Pterist
  • Pterist
    Pterist

Theocratic War Strategy
    OR
    Lying To The Public

Friends, the information contained in this little tract will be somewhat alarming to many readers. It is presented in the prayerful hope that it will enlighten sincere Jehovah's Witnesses about the tactics of their Watchtower leaders.

The Watchtower Society has a special policy towards outsiders. Those who question the Watchtower teachings are considered "opposers" and are treated in a special way. 1 The Society actually teaches Jehovah's Witnesses to coverup or lie about certain facts. They call this tactic -- Theocratic War Strategy. The Watchtower instructs Jehovah's Witnesses:

"As a soldier of Christ he is in the theocratic warfare and he must exercise added caution when dealing with God's foes. Thus the Scriptures show that for the purpose of protecting the interest of God's cause, it is proper to hide the truth from God's enemies." 2

When curious people examine the Watchtower's history, they find numerous facts that the present day Society tries to cover up. For instance, Watchtower leaders are very embarassed that the Society's founder, Charles Russell, was nearly worshipped by Watchtower followers for many years. Since the modern day Watchtower believes that Russell taught many falsedoctrines, they go to extremes to cover up his history.

They deny that the Watchtower ever wrote a biography of Russell's life. In the Watchtower's hisotry book, Jehovah's Witnesses in the DIvine Purpose, page 63, we read this question:

...is it true that you have never published a biography of Pastor Russell?
    THAT'S RIGHT. Jehovah's Witnesses admire the qualities he possessed as a man,
    but were we to give the honor and credit to Pastor Russell, we would be saying that
    the works and success were his...

This is a good example of the Watchtower's own use of Theocratic War Strategy, not only on the public, but also on Jehovah's Witnesses themselves. When we check the record we find that the Watchtower DID publish the Biography of Pastor Russell in five successive years, 1923 through 1927! 3

Thus we find the Watchtower practiing it's belief that it is proper to deceive people. But, they say this really isn't lying. WHy? Because the Watchtower Soceity has a different definition of "lying" than most of us. In their book, Aid to Bible Understanding, under the word "Lie," we read:

"Lying generally involves saying something false to person who is entitled to know the truth..."

Of course, it is the Watchtower leaders that decide who deserves to know the truth!
    DO YOU DESERVE TO KNOW THE TRUTH?

Vol. 1, 1925-1927 editions, pp. 1-30

Witness Inc.

Home | Missions | Ordering Materials | Answering Jehovah's Witnesses | Watchtower News | JW Communication | Contact Us

http://www.witnessinc.com/theocratic_war.html
  • TheStumbler
    TheStumbler

Thanks for the info. Is Theocratic warfare in common practice amongst JWs today? Most of the references seem old.

I was told by a JW recently that JWs never lie even white lies to protect another person's feelings. I have feeling this itself is a lie in light of theocratic warfare - I wish I had the wit to make that comment at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit