Boy Scouts scandal eerily similar to WTS

by undercover 8 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I posted this on Flipper's thread about WTS' handling of child abuse cases. It sorta tied in with his theme, but not 100%, so I'm going to also give this it's own thread.

I'm guessing the Boy Scout scandal has the WT legal department working overtime right now.

I read an article about the Boy Scout scandal this morning. With the release of the 'secret' documents, it's being revealed how the BSA handled allegations of abuse in-house and did not, nor want to, involve authorities, or in some cases, inform parents. One of the quotes was eerily similar to WTS comments and directions.

An excerpt of the story from the AP:

His file shows local scout officials were contacted in early 1974 by the father of two brothers, ages 11 and 12. They had been overhead by an older sister talking about what happened in Menghi's motel room. Other parents also reported that their sons had been molested.

After interviewing the parents and some of the scouts, Kia Kim District Scout Executive George F. Hardwick Sr. drafted a memo stating that he believed there was evidence Menghi had abused as many as 10 boys. He and other officials met with Menghi the next day to confront him with the abuse claims and barred him from scouting.

"The biggest thing was to get the guy out of scouting and away from our boys," said George Heib, 86, a retired U.S. Army officer who was at the meeting. "Putting the boys through all the trauma of having to go to court and trial and all the stuff like that, I didn't think it was worth it. Of course, the publicity wouldn't be good for scouting, either."

The local scouting officials wrote to national headquarters seeking guidance on whether to encourage the parents of the abused boys to file a criminal complaint. Paul I. Ernst, the BSA executive then in charge of the organization's secret files, directed them not to.

"Normally, we do not suggest that any legal action be instituted by parents," Ernst wrote. "If they desire to do this on their own they certainly should bring about any action they feel necessary. Certainly in this case, there is every indication that legal action is justified." (Bold mine)

Sound familiar?

This is sure to turn the stomachs of many people. I can only hope that current elders, (who bother to keep up with current events) read these stories on the failings of the BSA and make a connection. Will the be sickened by the conduct of the leadership of the BSA? If so, will they recognize that they, personally, are in the same position as these leaders of the BSA? And will they do anything about it?

Full article here:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCOUT_ABUSE_NC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-26-04-59-44

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Oh I've been waiting and watching for the inevitable results of this. An organization with Christian roots and ideals, maintains a secret database of pedo's who have been caught in the act or accused, with no police intervention. Everyone knows who the Boy Scouts are, unlike the WT, so changes resulting from failures on the leadership to protect the children, will be legally implimented. Then of course, all of those type of organizations will be held accountable, under the law.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    wha happened? - "An organization with Christian roots and ideals..."

Huh, I didn't know that.

Strange; institutionalized child abuse is usually an indicator of an authoritarian high-control group.

I was never under the impression that the Boy Scouts fell under that description.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi undercover,

Thank you bringing up this thread. Not long, I started a similar thread. Please, see the link below.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/240106/1/Boy-Scout-of-America-Sexual-Abuse-Scandal-Thousands-of-Pedophile-Names-to-Be-Released-this-Thursday-How-About-The-Watchtower

I strongly believe, your thread will bring renewed interest in this very important issue and how it might play out with respect to the Watchtower polices and practices including its database of pedos. My only concern even thougth it might be misplaced is that, the Watchtower, unlike the Boys Scouts of America,can invoke a clergy previlege.

Scott77

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Boy Scouts have denied certain members from becoming Eagle Scouts because they are gay.

Clerical priviledge was shot in down in Cali as a Commitee of 3 men listening to a confession does not qualify for clerical priviledge. The law specifically stated that in order to invoke clerical priviledge, a person must be making a confession to an individual.. And there has to be no chance of further sanction from the religion. A commitee of three men listenning then documenting the confession, forward the information to others in NY, and the individual making the confession can face further sanction with an announcement at the KH. A judge in Murrieta arrived at that concluision against a few elders that tried to hide behind that priviledge and forced the elders to testify

• finally awake
    finally awake

I believe 100% that every single organization that worked with children or had child members had these exact same policies. In other words, every orphanage, every church, every school, every summer camp treated child abusers the same way. I'm NOT excusing their behavior, but people do not seem to remember the national culture pre-1980 that typically blamed the victim for any sexual assault. The country as a whole, government, law enforcement, everybody was complicit. So I don't see the validity of vilifying one particular organization based on actions they took or failed to take 30 years ago. WHat matters to me is how they are handling those situations right now. The Boy Scouts have put in place a very thorough IMO training program for the boys, the parents, and the leaders. Boys are explicitly told that no one should be touching them intimately (leaders or other boys), they are told to tell immediately, they are told that leaders are never allowed to be alone with scouts who aren't their children - there must always be 2 adults present, and parents are told about all this as well. I don't know how allegations of abuse would actually be handled in the present, as it's always possible that there could be a disconnect between public policy and actual practice. But at least the Boy Scouts are acting as if they really understand what they should be doing. The same can't be said for the WTS, and that is truly disturbing.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they didn't do it willingly. They opposed the release:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/justice/boys-scouts-sex-abuse/index.html

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    finally awake - "So I don't see the validity of vilifying one particular organization based on actions they took or failed to take..."

Sometimes society needs to see an object lesson:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/240287/1/Something-occurred-to-mee280a6

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...A judge in Murrieta arrived at that concluision against a few elders that tried to hide behind that priviledge and forced the elders to testify..."
    wha happened?

wha happened?, thanks for the updates. I do not know if the decision of that judge are biding to all.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit