Scientology and JW's

by MTSman 5 Replies latest jw friends

• MTSman
    MTSman
    Ok, I just signed up for HBO Now and after binge watching Entourage and Game of Thrones, I clicked on Going Clear, which is an expose of L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. I was mortified at the similarities of that cult and the Witnesses. It's crazy! Crazy how, we sane people, and some times insane people, can succumb to bat-shit crazy theories and beliefs. I think I'm done. Honestly, I cannot see myself returning.
  • whathappened
    whathappened

I don't get HBO so I cannot see that expose, but I understand there are some good documentaries on YouTube about Scientology. I hear there is also a good documentary on the Westboro Baptist Church that is also similar to JWs.

Glad you liked it, I heard from others it is really good.

• MTSman
    MTSman

So here's the link to the film. I hope it works.

https://www.hbonow.com/docs/PROD755137/going-clear-scientology

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I've said this before, but I think of Scientology as the WTS's crazier and meaner younger cousin.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I agree with Vidiot, the JWs or total wackjobs, but Scientology takes it just a bit further with that truth machine or whatever it's used for. Don't be surprised if sometime down the road the Dubs come up with their own mind reading machines though.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

MTSman, you are correct that it's crazy how "we" sane people can succumb to bat-shit crazy theories and beliefs, leaving the insane people out of the equation right now.

But you and I see pretty clearly how Scientology is bat-shit crazy. Those who have joined over the years did not have the benefits of hindsight and documentaries like GOING CLEAR.

Well, it's the same for Jehovah's Witnesses. People didn't know that what they were joining had bat-shit crazy theories. Recruitment is tougher in the 21st century with everyone googling everything, so we are on the dying edge of that. And being raised in bat-shit crazy stuff, even in the information age, many are re-wired to think that it is normal or that it is strange and different, but the normal stuff is bat-shit crazy.

Now, the insane factor. I am not the sane adult that joined. Things in my life were insane when I joined Jehovah's Witnesses. Same for people who may join Scientology or any dangerous mind-control cult. Cults pry on people going through huge stresses in their lives. Who's to say what's bat-shit crazy to someone whose whole life is bat-shit crazy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit