New Governing Body Member: Hugo Riemer - More WT Revisionist History

by 00DAD 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

As part of the WT's recent push to get the R&F "to study and recount the history of the earthly part of Jehovah’s organization" there is a curious article in the From Our Archives featurette of the August 15th, 2012 Watchtower.

It offers a highly sanitized version of early JW history. But what is particularly strange is this revisionist history re-categorizing of an early Bible Student/JW, one Hugo Riemer.

Notice how this man has been promoted to a Governing Body member:

Beginning about 1894, the Watch Tower Society sent out traveling representatives to meet with groups requesting a visit. Later called pilgrims, these experienced, hardworking menwere selected for having meekness, Bible knowledge, and fine speaking and teaching ability, and for demonstrating fidelity to the ransom. ... After his evening discourse in a school, Hugo Riemer, who later became a member of the Governing Body, answered Bible questions until past midnight. -w2012 8/15, p. 31 - From Our Archives - [Emphasis Added]

Never heard of Hugo Henry Riemer? I'm not surprised. He was apparently on the Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania from 1943 until his death in 1965. He also served on the New York corporate board.

Apparently that now qualifies him to be considered a Governing Body member ... the only problem I have with this is that the Governing Body (note the capital "G" and the capital "B") was not formally established as such until 1971, six years after Mr. Riemer's death!!!

Note this from JWSurvey.org answering the question Where does the term “Governing Body” come from? :

... the term “governing body” does not come from the scriptures at all. Rather it is a secular term that was first employed casually in 1944 to describe the Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Society. However, from 1971 onwards, the term was capitalized, and the new “Governing Body” came to take on a powerful new role as the religious leaders of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

pre-1971 WT Board of Directors

A rare photo of the pre-1971 Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. (Left to right) Lyman Swingle, Thomas J. Sullivan, Grant Suiter, (Sec’y.-Treas.), Hugo Reimer, Nathan H. Knorr (President), Fred W. Franz (Vice-President), Milton G. Henschel.

These guys just get kookier all the time!

00DAD

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Another huge inconsistency they will have to cover...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I doubt too many will notice that. It's actually huge. They continue to re-write their own history. Probably a preemptive strike to build up their FDS-is-only-the-Governing-Body nonsense. They need there to alway have been a GB.

• minimus
    minimus

So this mean Ray Franz was of The Faithful & Discreet Slave or was he of the Evil Slave?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ray was Faithfully evil Minimus.

• minimus
    minimus

Wasa, stop spreading rumors of truth.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Funny they never mentioned this fact while he was alive:

*** jv chap. 26 p. 578 Producing Bible Literature for Use in the Ministry ***
    This failure to get coal was not merely due to wartime shortage. Hugo Riemer, who was then a member of the headquarters staff, later wrote that it was principally because hatred for the Bible Students was so rampant in New York at that time.

*** w85 6/1 p. 27 How Priceless Your Friendship, O God! ***
    The passing years have been enriched by human relationships with dedicated and devout men who loved Jehovah more than life itself—men such as Judge Rutherford, whom I had the privilege to meet in his home in San Diego, California. It was also my privilege to work side by side with other such men, including Hugo Riemer, Nathan Knorr, Klaus Jensen, John Perry, Bert Cumming, and a host of others who were spiritual giants, “big trees of righteousness.”—Isaiah 61:3.

*** w65 5/15 p. 320 Announcements ***
    Drawing great consolation from the written Word of “the God of all comfort,” the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania announces herewith the death of Brother Hugo H. Riemer on March 31, 1965. After years of service as a pioneer publisher in the field, he was called to the Society’s Brooklyn headquarters in 1918, since which time he served with the Society’s headquarters till his death at eighty-six years of age. He was on the boards of directors of both the Society’s Pennsylvania corporation and its New York corporation, also serving in the official capacity of assistant secretary-treasurer of both corporations. Thus, after his dedication to Jehovah God in 1904, he served for the greater part of his long life in the direct, full-time service of his heavenly Father, as one of the anointed remnant of Christ’s followers. After a funeral service attended by 239 on Saturday morning, April 3, interment of his earthly remains took place at the private burial plot of the Brooklyn Bethel family at Huguenot Park, Staten Island, N.Y. We are happy at his entering into the heavenly happiness spoken of in the promise of Revelation 14:13.

So he was a member of HQ staff, a big tree of righteousness and on the board of directors plus Secretary-Treasurer. No mention of him being on any Governing Body.

George

• 00DAD
    00DAD

St. George: So he was a member of HQ staff, a big tree of righteousness and on the board of directors plus Secretary-Treasurer. No mention of him being on any Governing Body.

Exactly, as I said, he just got a posthumous promotion ... 47 years too late!

BTW, thanks for those references.

00DAD

• sabastious
    sabastious

I don't trust bowties and I trust neckties even less.

-Sab

• minimus
    minimus

Was Thomas J. Sullivan a GB member too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit