List of Branch Offices and Country Offices of Jehovah's Witnesses

by cedars 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

After reading this thread, I've added Martinique and Guadeloupe to the map as branches that have recently been closed.

I would also appreciate some clarification as to whether the following countries still enjoy official branch status...

• Italy - this is being looked into by our friends on an Italian forum.
    • Spain
    • Czech Republic
    • Dominican Republic

Finally, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if at least some of the 23 branches in Africa haven't been closed. If anyone has their finger on the pulse with what is happening in Africa, I would love to hear from you.

Cedars

• Gayle
    Gayle

As far as I see, great majority of active witnesses have no problem with this. No disadvantage at all; just saving some money.

Ones that still have a branch or the Headquarters won't have a 'problem' with 'saving some money' by closing those branches. However, if in the U.S., WTS said we are moving out to another country to 'save money' would have quite an impact. To more than a few, to close their 'branch' no matter how small, is like closing an "embassy."

I think it will have a big impact on those areas.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Also, the closing of such "branches," will reinforce the attitude and conviction of these foreign countries, that American businesses and American religions, come in under the guise of so helping us, but eventually take our money and run.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Gayle, there is always an underlying "Us and Them" attitude that humans can't seem to help feeling, even if one is not prejudiced in the normal sense of Racial P.

The Elder Bros who were prone to 'phone the Branch for advice will not feel so ready to do so if they are 'phoning another country, this may be a good thing, they will feel more on their own, and they may be forced to research some things for themselves, on God Forbid, the Internet !

The R&F will view it as the HQ in far off America as "taking the money and running" as you say, at least I hope they do, for that is exactly what has happened !

• cedars
    cedars

bats in the belfry - thanks for the above info. I've corrected the map so that the placemarker for the South Africa branch falls precisely where it should.

If anyone has any similar info about the precise location of the various branch offices, that would be helpful. Most of the addresses published by the Society are just PO boxes.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Our Italian friends have been able to confirm that the country still enjoys official branch status, so the Italy branch lives to fight another day!

Cedars

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Africa, cedars - I would suspect it is not easy to combine branches there because of language and tribal barriers as well as all sorts of troubles with borders and customs etc., don't you think? When you read news articles about what is happening in many African countries, and then imagine people from one tribe or country should live in another one's territory, that literature should be sent across borders and thru rebel groups' areas etc. - I very much believe it is the safest way to keep all business within the established political (colonial) frontiers.

• cedars
    cedars

TheOldHippie - yes, you could be right there. On the one hand, JWs promote the idea that all tribes and races are equal etc, but this ideology may mean very little when it comes to the logistics of actually getting literature across borders etc, and arranging assemblies/conventions in more than one country. Still, when you look at the map, central Africa stands out as being the most obvious place to start slashing the number of branches if the Society was looking at reducing costs. Then again, it may be that the "branch per country" model is justified in this part of the world since it is one of the areas experiencing the largest amount of growth.

I guess only time will tell.

Cedars

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

the Czech Republic is served by the Slovakia branch and

Togo is served by the Benin branch

doesn't Puert Rico care for several Carribbean countries?

@TheOldHippie do you know the names of the Scandinavia Branch Committee members and who serves as the coordinator?

LL

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

The Puerto Rico Branch will close next month...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit