JW.org does partial U-turn over Awake! magazine Rama Singh misquote

by Watchtower-Free 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free
    Posted on April 19, 2015

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/jw-org-does-partial-u-turn-over-awake-magazine-rama-singh-misquote

JW.org has removed their misquote of Rama Singh from digital versions of Awake! magazine

Some of you will remember that back in January we reported on the latest example of a Watchtower publication misquoting an academic to get its anti-science views across. Biologist Rama Singh was quoted in the January 2015 Awake! magazine with comments that seemed to suggest he was a denier of evolutionary theory, when in actual fact he is anything but.

“JW has indeed misquoted me and I do not agree with their article and its anti-evolution stand,” he said on being alerted to the matter.

In an open letter to Awake! magazine editors, Singh made this request (bold is mine):

“So I am asking you first to remove the misquotation from your article immediately and second print an unconditional apology for what I consider is a deliberate damaging action on your part to my reputation.”

Well… it seems Awake! has done the first part. Digital versions of the January 2015 Awake! magazine, including the PDF download, no longer feature the Rama Singh quote as the following images show…

BEFORE…

AFTER…

The only thing that is conspicuous by its absence is the second part of Singh’s request – namely a printed, unconditional apology from Awake! editors for misquoting him. Unfortunately for Singh, who has since written about the incident in the Hamilton Spectator, it is extremely doubtful he will receive any such thing.

Despite professing “Christlike humility,” the “spiritual men” who work on the Governing Body’s Writing Committee are not renowned for their willingness to issue apologies or print retractions.

Needless to say, the whole affair smacks of hypocrisy. A religion that is the first to point the finger at others for deception and subterfuge is not above stooping to such methods if it means duping people into embracing their backwards views.

The scandal also makes a mockery of this quote from page 9 of the 2011 Yearbook:

“In summary, the Writing Department insists on using only material that is accurate and truthful, even regarding seemingly insignificant details. As a result, ‘the faithful and discreet slave’ can consistently supply spiritual food that brings honor to ‘the God of truth,’ Jehovah.—Ps. 31:5.”

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/jw-org-does-partial-u-turn-over-awake-magazine-rama-singh-misquote

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    Awesome catch! If anyone has a printed copy with the misquote, now is a good time to take friends or family to JW.org & compare the 2 articles: "See? Told you! It freaking happens. And not just with their old material--this is in 2015! Use your f#%^ing noodle and wake up."
  • scoobydont
    scoobydont
    Mmmmm ! Delicious !!!
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Wow very cool! Very good leg work on your part or whomever alert singh
  • Richard_I
    Richard_I

I can't see the images so I made this myself

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Is there a way to get a copy of the mag with the quote still in it? I would like both copies - the original and the changed one.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And witnesses are supposed to believe that Holy Spirit directs the research and writing of all articles!

Bloody Idiots!!

I am so angry toward the org.....

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    JWfacts...can you add this one to your great site?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Beautiful!

Love the Before & After side-by-side comparison:

"The fact is, many educated people--including a number of scientists--question the validity of the theory." - Emphasis added

It was things like this that got me to start questioning the validity of the content of the WT literature and the integrity of the authors.

Their constant use of weasel words like "many" and "a number" really got me thinking:

• "How 'many' are 'many'?"
    • "What's the 'number'?"- As in THE ACTUAL number.
    • Why don't they USE the actual number?
    • "Is it a little? Is it a lot? Is it big or is it small?"
    • "How 'many' scientists? For God's sake just tell us how many? Why won't you? Can't you?
    • "One is a number!"
    • It there even one?

-

I was at university learning critical thinking skills at the time I began asking myself these questions. The consistent, recurring lack of academic honesty and integrity on the part of the writers and publisher of WT publications was one of the big things that got me to realize: Oh, my god, I'm in a cult!

Now it's all review.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    It would be nice if Mr. Singh would press the matter legally. It might annoy him enough to pursue the matter if he knew about how they recently dodged a big pedophile scandal by covering their tracks and not owning up to anything. Maybe with a little encouragement from us, he might consider it. If so, it would be the first time ever (to my knowledge) that the Watchtower ever admitted a "mistake" apologized for anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit