More legal trouble for the WT? jw.org

by blond-moment 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

IAMWHOIAM - that's what I got out of it, but I'm no lawyer. Evidently, perhaps even clearly, "Jehovah's will" is closely related to if not identical to the United States legal system.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Cedars: I've read all the documents as well and although I'm not a lawyer, it looks like a Mexican stand off to me. They are to have, A conference later probably to agree to lick their own wounds and walk away. But now I guess the G.B. realizes it wasn't jah's will after all to go ahead with their plans.

Looks like Brooklyn will have to put up with those Hovie Jovies a little longer now.

Kojack

• cedars
    cedars

Kojack - yes, you might be right about this being a "noise making" exercise.

As regards the World Headquarters plans, I get the impression this is NOT the same site as the one they have settled on developing in Warwick. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

Cedars

• yknot
    yknot

I am only on page 12....

But what i am reading is

2 yrs repurchase agreement (RA).

WTS seeks rezoning....shot down, asked to resubmit and fails to do so (bottom pg 7)but pursues tax issues in the meanwhile.

Tax issues are quieted with community donations somewhat but the WTS has to constantly reapply on Taxes...

WTS gets fed up and say 'FIDO-it' and seeks Repurchase Agreement.

Lorterdan learns that WTS failed to resubmit revised final zoning proposal and believe they have a window to nullify RA and receive the CA money (9.5 mil).

• Magi
  • blindnomore
    blindnomore

In Real Estate Purchase Contract, both buyer and seller have to agree and sign the contract along with all related contingency in order the property to be marked as 'under contract' status. Once it goes 'under contract' status, neither parties are entitle for new negotiation from that point on unless upon both parties agreement. It's too bad for Watchtower to not able to obtain tax-exampt status but do not believe that was the part of the original contract. (That's why 'due deligent' is there for in the first place)

(This in my observation. I haven't read entire court document tho.)

Edit: thanks Magi for the link. I wasn't paying attention before posting.

• yknot
    yknot

Honestly....

I think Lorterdan is hoping to delay repurchase or for a settlement less than 11.5 million...

I would side with the WTS on this one...

From what was posted/linked I don't see exact language requiring the WTS to pursue rezoning beyond initial application .... afterall the Town could continue to call for amendments forever if they didn't like the revised final zoning proposal .....(which obviously could exceed the 2 yr period).

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Watch Tower sure has had the attorneys busy these past couple of years. If Jesus had lawyers like ... ah, never mind.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Watch Tower sure has had the attorneys busy these past couple of years. If Jesus had lawyers like ... ah, never mind.

smiddy

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Watchtower won part of the case, and part of it was left open for trial by jury.

Basically, Loterdan made two major claims:

1. That Watchtower was cheating Loterdan out of their consulting fee by not pursuing the zoning change. The judge ruled that Loterdan was wrong; Watchtower was under no obligation to pursue the zoning change.

2. That by moving ahead with multiple years of tax exemption applications, Watchtower demonstrated a determination to develop the property, which meant they could no longer force Loterdan to buy it back. The judge ruled that this is ambiguous, and needs to be decided by a jury.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit