Beards

by ThomasK9 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It's a cult. It's all about control.

Apparently the NO BEARD rule was started by Rutherford because he didn't like them. (Maybe he couldn't grow one and was jealous of the men that could.)

Blondie made an excellent post on this thread I started on the topic a while back:

BEARDS: Why JW men don't have them

The whole thread is pretty informative, but again look for Blondie's comments to get some insight into the history of this example of yet one more unscriptural, Pharisaical rule from the WTBTS.

00DAD

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

You are most likely not allowed to go further because you have what JW's in authority refer to as "BA" or "Bad Attitude".

Shaving your beard will show subjection to the arrangement.

However, as far as the beard preventing you from progressing, that is no longer (as far as I know) a requirement (although in the US you would most likely not be given "special" privileges) and is more or less the personal opinion of your elder body. I spoke with a CO about this several years ago and he insisted there is nothing wrong with it and it is common for elders in Alaska to wear beards.

NO BEARDS was so strongly entrenched in the U.S. congregations that, in my opinion, for the most part it isn't addressed because if they came out and published "brothers can grow beards", there would be a rush to doing it and those who can't grow neat looking facial hair would do it too, then what? Better to let brothers think they can't have a beard then have messy looking brothers.

... nevertheless, it is a religion about control and obedience, find the nearest exit and don't look back again

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

What if you had something on your chin that was more offensive than a beard such as a swastika tatoo? Would they bend the rules for that? Can men wear makeup to cover it over?

Speaking of tatoos, I don't remember seeing many JWs with them. Has that changed since the tatoo craze started?

And I'm not talking born in dubs.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Mynameislame - A few years ago there was a BOE letter (or maybe it was during one of the CO meetings w/BOE) regarding tattoos. If a publisher had a tattoo, elders were supposed to "encourage" the publisher to cover the tattoo while attending meetings or engaging in field service.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

mynameislame-

I know several JWs with tattoos but they are in places very few people would see them if you know what i mean. Also dated a JW girl with a few, ahem, piercings that most people will never see also.

Don't ask me how I got this information. ;)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

PTD: Don't ask me how I got this information. ;)

Awww, you're no fun!

• smiddy
    smiddy

In my 33 years as a captive their were 3 times I tried a beard , well one was a goatee , and every time it was tolerated for a short time ,though priveledges were denied me , then the heavies got to me ,and I succumbed. I was always under the impression their problem was because of the hippie movement in the 60`s and it was an image problem because of that.

It`s definetly a control thing. You want another example of that?, look at their brochure, on what to wear at conventions ,even out sightseeing in your own time, unbeleivable !

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you want to be a member and still have a beard ..... move to Denmark. It's OK there.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Any religion you can't leave is a cult. Any religion that removes your individuality is a cult. If you feel the need to be a part of a cult, join the Mormons, at least they are a bit more mainstream and I bet you can keep the facial hair.

Nope

Speaking of short skirts on the one hand and long hair and beards on the other, we should note that the reasons for these two requirements are different. Skirt lengths for women are a function of modesty. The ban on long hair and beards , on the other hand, is a question of symbolism and propriety. Let us examine these separately. http://www.lds.org/new-era/1971/12/standards-of-dress-and-grooming?lang=eng&query=beards

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit