The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

My fave was Roy Renouf - District Overseer
    Always had time for me and seemed to keep thigs real.
    Heard that on a Zone vist he told the Governing Body the Branch was told old and grumpy or something like that!

Worst was Michael Purbrick
    Thought too much of himself. Took my MTS and was a complete ****head.

Honourable mention for Errol Flynn
    He was at my pionoeer school and seemed cool. Was appointed at the age of 29 as a CO!

Any other make your list of faves and worsts?

UUN

• cantleave
    cantleave

For me in the UK......

Fave - John Blaney.

Worst - Charlie Scurlock.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Hey, tell me about John Blaney - cos the name rings a bell. I seem to remember him from way way back.

But I got out a long time ago, during the age of dinosaurs and fountain pens.

• thaisun
    thaisun

John Blaney was a character . . .

On one occasion I was with him for an evening meal which included a meat pie. He grinned, then looking around to make sure he was being observed, he pointed to the food on the plate and remarked, "Look! A pie on 'ere for a pioneer!"

Another time I was chairman for a circuit assembly with JB giving the public talk. After I introduced him, he walked on with a folder. I saw him open it before I was off-stage. It was empty!

He gave a different subject at another assembly with exactly the same body; just different intro and conclusion! Again, no notes!

• cedars
    cedars

I guess it depends on what part of the UK you're from. Some of those names I've never heard of.

From a speaking point of view, the best CO I ever heard was Justin Shaw.

I'd rather not say who my worst was.

Best DO was called Dennis, can't remember his surname? Lovely guy. I think his wife died of cancer.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

thaisun

On one occasion I was with him for an evening meal which included a meat pie. He grinned, then looking around to make sure he was being observed, he pointed to the food on the plate and remarked, "Look! A pie on 'ere for a pioneer!"

I think he nicked that one from George Hilton.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

Dennis Dutton?

• cedars
    cedars

I know that name, but I'm not 100% sure though, but I could be persuaded.

He was a short stubby guy with glasses. Reminded me of Penfold from dangermouse, apart from the fact he had a full head of hair. Fairly soft, high pitched voice. Came across as very meek and humble.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

We had John Blaney stay with us when we were kids. He put little of riddles around the house for us to answer. It was people like him that kept me in, he was a genuine person, with a great sense of humour and in his own way quite independent.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Renouf made a visit to our congrgation about four years ago. All I remember was he was spitting criticisms of people who left the "truth" because of disappointment that the end has not come. He even mentioned 1975 and the generation teaching by name, which I thought was highly unusual. I can't say I got a good impression of the man.

Funniest speaker was the DO Brian Scott. And my favourite CO was Ray Midgely and his wife Cherry.

Newbies need to check out this classic old thread on UK COs. Lots of gossip!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/127365/1/CO-DOs-in-the-UK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit