The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• BroMac
    BroMac

Devaston 'Danny' Henry = larger than life character. awkward habit of smiling while silently surveying the audience for what seems like an eternity before he starts his talks. creepy. nice guy though. flat cap brigade.

• BroMac
    BroMac

anyone got any info on a Lee Wilson? I am reliably informed he is to be our new one come september.

• thaisun
    thaisun

Bob Holmes. Lovely DO. Happy, easy to talk and listen to.

John Wyatt. CO. Happy fellow. Saw the light

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Darn, I don't know any C.O.s in the UK!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Tony Kendall was our D.O for a time, nice chap, boring speaker, he felt because he had looked up the meaning of a Greek word from some scripture, that he was giving us some super insight, but I knew that commentaries by scholars on those verses gave a much more bright and knowledgeable picture of what the writer meant, an armchair scholar who needed teaching how to enliven his talks.

Albert Broad mellowed in to a sweet old man, but when young he was a force to be reckoned with, never unloving though, he stayed with us a few times, I used to get his favourite ale in the fridge for him, he stayed up watching cartoons on TV and supping an ale long after we had turned in, his wife was dotty as a fruit cake, but sweet.

I cannot remember a C.O who was really an a-hole, but so so many were simply boring grey little society men.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Two stick in my mind more than any of the others - Bob Auldrey and Ian Shanks.

Bob Auldrey was our co in the late 80s when i was a kid. He designed the Mr Matey bubble bath bottle and always wore a waistcoat and pocket watch. Last i heard he was in essex/east london.

Ian Shanks - very very camp with a quiff. Now in Glasgow.

Also remember William and Ann Heath she was nice helped me play keyboard in the early 90s. My parents had so many of them round to our house for lunch over the years but they a lot of them blend into one.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Don...that was the South Wales guy...broad accent, powerful speaker? A CO and his wife was called Celia I met him in the mid nineties x

Loz x

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

@ Loz I think it's Don Holly you're refering to, really nice bloke, and Celia was lovely. He never came across as an elder lover, which is unusual for a CO.

Roddy Holyoak, total knob, snotty nosed wife.

Terry Armstrong, a little pit bull but we got on alright with him, I think because we had a load of info that he wanted lol.

Jim Buckingham was an elder lover so didn't rate him. He was soooo boring!!!!

Once you start you could go on and on, it's just the flash backs really are'nt worth it.

Ooohhhh just remembered another....Bob Auldry stood in for one visit in the eighties and I really liked him, good speaker, didn't nod off once.

Peace

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Jim Buckingham was an elder lover so didn't rate him. He was soooo boring!!!!

I don't remember a JIM Buckingham, bit I well remember a TED Buckingham and his wife Joyce, 1950's. His life story was in the WT June 1st, 2005.

Other posters have mentioned him in the past with less than warm affection. I was just a youngster then of course.

George

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I think Ted was Jim's brother. They looked very similar too.

To be a CO/DO you had to be special.......but not in a good way.

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit