Why President Eisenhower Hid His Jehovah's Witness Upbringing?

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Don't know if anyone has read this fascinating article, why did Ike and his brother Milt lie about their parent's religion? Read the whole article if you have time, one of the strongest presidents was raised by Watchtower's Ancient Russell-Rutherford Theology.

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/eisenhower.html

"Jerry Bergman, Ph.D
    Northwest State College, Ohio

" The thesis that the Eisenhower boys were embarrassed by their parents' Watchtower involvement is supported by the problem which developed when the Watchtower tried to exploit Mrs. Eisenhower's name for their advantage. One reason for the Eisenhower boys' concern was because Jehovah's Witnesses were generally scorned by most churches and society in general, especially at the turn of the century. Virtually no college-educated people were members, and the education level even today is still extremely low, among the lowest of all religious denominations (Cosmin and Lachman, 1993). A problem that the Eisenhower boys faced in the 1940s, according to Edgar Eisenhower, was that "the deep, sincere and even evangelical religious fervor" of their mother was used by the Watchtower "to exploit her in her old age" (Kornitzer, 1955:139)."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A few months ago the 1940 census was released and I discovered it indicated the educational level of the individuals surveyed, so I looked at what the educational background of everyone at Bethel was. There were only a small handful of highly educated persons, such as Fred Franz and Bonnie Heath. Many didn't have a high school education. Charles A. Wise, a former vice president of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, had one of the lowest levels of education: he only got to fourth grade. I think I saw someone who had only a third grade level education.

• mP
    mP

all poltical leaders know religion is a scam. given wts and jws are small fish, theres nothing to be gained by mentioning them. if someone is anglican or mormon etc then there is an establishment that can help, but the wts is anti giv which is hardky useful. the religion itself says not to trust or listen satanic controlled governments.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

He was not a Witness. Witnesses discussed it with great pride. Eisenhower was almost deemed a Witness b/c he was raised one. I don't know if he was truly born-n. I would not want to suffer the consequences of my parents' choices or my brother. The Witnesses went out of their to antagonize anyone. Romney is going to face ridicule of his Mormon faith. Imagine what the JW connectioin would do to him.

I wish he had written about the Witnesses, his religioius upbringing, and what led him to go to West Point and flourish. Imagine being around ignorant JWs and then being able to become the Supreme Allied Commander and President. Also, president of Columbia University. Very impressive.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

He was not a Witness. Witnesses discussed it with great pride. Eisenhower was almost deemed a Witness b/c he was raised one. I don't know if he was truly born-n. I would not want to suffer the consequences of my parents' choices or my brother. The Witnesses went out of their to antagonize anyone. Romney is going to face ridicule of his Mormon faith. Imagine what the JW connectioin would do to him.

I wish he had written about the Witnesses, his religioius upbringing, and what led him to go to West Point and flourish. Imagine being around ignorant JWs and then being able to become the Supreme Allied Commander and President. Also, president of Columbia University. Very impressive.

• Diest
    Diest

He was a Bible Student, which seems to be a lot easier and less crazy. You get christmas and birthdays, and you dont DFed. Over all it is a different religion.

Overall a much better religion and he still left it...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So why did the Witnesses claim him? I assume his mother went with Rutherford's faction.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The POS of our Hall has less than a fifth grade education, he is a cunning fiend! He really hate's brothers and sisters with any kind of education, he feels castrated by them! Ignorance feeds off envy and fear, he is so paranoid that some "City Slicker" will still his position! That's it, in our loving "Brotherhood", where education is frowned upon, unless you use it for the W.T.S.

@leolaia: " Many didn't have a high school education. Charles A. Wise, a former vice president of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, had one of the lowest levels of education: he only got to fourth grade. I think I saw someone who had only a third grade level education.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    So why did the Witnesses claim him? I assume his mother went with Rutherford's faction.

Because in the JW version of history (as opposed to what actually happened), 'Bible Students' were merely "as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known". They do not acknowledge that other Bible Students groups still exist, and so it would not be to their advantage to make a distinction.

• jam
    jam

Things have changed since Ike days, now JW's have a high school

education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit