Gated Communities in Puerto Rico now required to have a Security Guard and special entrance for Jehovah's Witnesses

by Alfred 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

They can't get me here because I have a security door at the entrance of the building..they have to request entry and no one will let them in..:) so they usually park outside in the lot on Sat. mornings till some poor sap comes out of the building and then they attack them..

How pathetic is that..

I can't believe they get away with that in Puerto Rico..

My thoughts..

My daughter has a security gate at the entrance of their community but they have a service entry that isn't gated..the JW's come in that way..

Snoozy

• LV101
    LV101

This is scary news. I know they aren't allowed in gated communities in Vegas but somehow get in completely gated communities via someone they know. Will this ruling be enforced other places? The Ninth Circuit would have to lay down the law here but I've always thought it strange they didn't have access. This Puerto Rico ruling is not good.

• moshe
    moshe

The JWs can have their special door- but they don't have to like it-- a door about 3 feet tall works for me.

• straightshooter
  • NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

This doesn't make sense. So what about gated communities in the USA? What's the difference?

• LV101
    LV101

NomadSoul --- exactly. Not good for the rest of the USA if they enforce this or follow suit.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

i was shocked to read this b/c it is contrary to what I always have heard. Quickly skimming an article about it, several Court of Appeals in other geographic locations have criticized this decision. The crux of the problem is that Puerto Rico gates its public streets. In the US, gated communities are private property. I wonder if anyone will appeal to the Supreme Court. My legal database is down. Other courts aren't rushing in to agree. The big problem is that Puerto Rico can't de-gate itself now.

I'm not certain why public streets would be gated.

When the Witnesses come by, I tell them they are on private property and they have no First Amendment rights on private property. I've questioned when private property such as a home begins. Sidewalk law varies. Q- do they have a right to climb your stairs w/o your permission? I read a document leaked from the WT that put apartment complexes and private property in nether land. They told Witnesses to go right ahead. The legal dept wasn't promising to stand behind them if they were arrested, too. My apt. complex does call the police if they do not leave.

Something to research. I would love for someone else to do it. It is very nice to know it is limited to Puerto Rico.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Ah! That's the difference! Thanks Band.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Some of the gated communities in the US; have agreements with the police to patrol and enforce traffic laws, etc. I wonder if that is going to be used by the WTS to allow freedom of religion inside the communities.

I live in a gated community. We get JWs at the door. But, they either live/rent here, or are invited in by other JWs who live in the community. Funny, I don't get any Memorial pamphlets. They must not like my house....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

skeeter1,

The police presence definitely raises issues. I would argue that if the community pays extra or employs off-duty officers it is still private. If tax dollars are used, it makes it more public. This quasi public nature with many communities subcontracting to private companies to provide what were once public duties raises a host of difficult issues. I would argue....does not mean that i am correct.

Yes, I always ask for the name of another member of the complex who granted them permission. In fairness, all solicitation/preaching is barred equally. The one key exception is businesses run by fellow members. Since I say that I am calling the police, I wonder if I am marked in Jehover's big book. As tho you want a Memorial invitation......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit