Christian Apologists - Please Watch This and Tell Us Why it is wrong?

by cantleave 834 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I think it is safe to say that personal attacks of any nature cause threads to denigrate to shambles, as I think this one might be about to do. Good reason to keep the focus on ideas, rather than the person.

Peace,

tammy

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Cry me a river sab. You call zid intolerant and as far as i can tell you still think thats a smart thing to throw around. i bring up you said many intolerant things the other day. Your not being demonized, you are being made aware of irony.

Hah! I wouldn't shed a tear for the likes of you. You give yourself too much credit. Saying intolerant things (which I haven't agreed that I have in the quantity you say) is different than being intolerant and discriminating against fellow humans based simply off of belief. You are trying to poach me again, but pointing out reality has never worked so why do I try again?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I think it is safe to say that personal attacks of any nature cause threads to denigrate to shambles, as I think this one might be about to do. Good reason to keep the focus on ideas, rather than the person.

Tammy I don't think it's avoidable with the atheist crowd that speaks up here. They have little tact at best and have no interest in doing anything but demanding empirical evidence that they accept or they claim you are "stupid" "ignorant" or "crazy." If you have any shred of logic they merely just shred it up and spew back misrepresentation just like the OP does with God in the video in the OP. I think it's obvious where the aggressive energy resides and comes from.

-Sab

• bohm
    bohm

I call bullshit: Can you point out even the slightest evidence of zid being "intol erant and discriminating against fellow human beings"?

And i dont mean hurting feelings by calling the god-idea stupid.

• bohm
    bohm

Sab: either you just became an atheist, or you have absolutely no sence of irony.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I call bullshit: Can you point out even the slightest evidence of zid being "intolerant and discriminating against fellow human beings"?

Really? YOU calling something bullsh*t? No, can't be.

1.I feel sorry for you. 2.if in fact he DID have such - as a means to coerce ME into "believing" in your fractured and confused version of "god/gods"

3.Lemme explain something about science and scientists to you....

4.Poopsiecakes, who was just TOO kind!! (too Sab)

5.Sab, your insanity is astounding to observe....

6.And yet again with the death-orientation instead of being life-oriented... 7.I don't think I'm quite as likely to be called "ignorant" by future people as certain others whom I shan't name...

8.Why are you SO dammed incapable of seeing your own blood-thirsty thought processes? You've mentally associated with a Bronze-Age Middle-Eastern male 'gawd' who demands human sacrifices for SO long, that you've absorbed THAT way of viewing the world...

^ She looks at me as an uncultured ignorant believer. She's discriminatory and is hell bent on painting believers that put faith in the Bible or the Quaran as monsters themselves for following a monster. Wonder where she god that idea? From information like the video in the OP perhaps?

(inc misrepresentation and more nickels for Sab)

-Sab

• tec
    tec

Sab, I don't think that is avoidable with any crowd, here or elsewhere.

I also don't think you meant to state the atheist crowd in general.

This kind of thread, and this kind of debate, is the hardest to keep from turning personal or insulting. I have never seen one that has not... unless it hasn't been seen by too many people. This thread isn't much different than that age old question thread by AK-Jeff. Same people, same points, same turning point from discussion to argument, to personal jibes. Apolologies, then discussion, then denigration, ad nauseum, rinse and repeat.

The discussion can be kept civil, but emotions are often too high here, I think, and the longer a thread goes, the more emotion that gets involved. Best to step back and take a break when or before that happens.

Peace,

tammy

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The discussion can be kept civil, but emotions are often too high here, I think, and the longer a thread goes, the more emotion that gets involved. Best to step back and take a break when or before that happens.

So it's possible, but you have never seen it take place? I just look at that and call it human nature. Atheism is a personal decision and life philosophy, challenging it is going to bring emotions to the table. Theism is a personal faith and a life philosophy and challenging it is going to bring emotions to the table. To me, it's unavoidable, so I just try to keep my emotions as clear as I can during these discussions. I don't think emotions, even misplaced ones, should be hidden from. We can always get better.

-Sab

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Is this thread a pity party now?

• tec
    tec

Sab, you have made me think now ;)

Still's thread questioning believers remained respectful. There were a couple of points within it that it could have denigrated due to some careless comments... but she managed to keep it on track, and I think most of us, out of respect for her, kept things to what she wanted.

Plus she was specific at the beginning of her thread that she wanted no believer to be mocked or anything for sharing what she was asking to hear. I was incredibly impressed. My first thread that I started here was pretty controversial also, and managed to remain pretty respectful, albeit controversial. Perhaps because I was so new? Perhaps because I was very careful with my own words? Perhaps the general mood of the board was a bit different? Not sure.

Neither of those was about the topic of this thread though. This thread is one heated topic!

Having emotions on the table is fine, though, you're right. I just worry that sometimes when those emotions rule us (negative ones), then everything breaks down very quickly and we all need to take a breather to regain perspective and balance. No matter who is at fault.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit