Bullet list of major (recent) changes

by RN 38 Replies latest jw friends

• RN
    RN

It is with great interest that I recently read Ceders article on the decline of the WTS. His article along with many of the comments really drives home just how many major changes there have been in a fairly short peroid of time.

Somewhere in the recent past I could swear that someone had posted a bullet list of major changes with the corresponding year. When I saw this (or something like it) my first thought was that this simple list made it all the more shocking; and since I have searched and cannot find anything like it.

So I dug around and started one of my own, please feel free to add/corrects events. It may prove useful to demonstrate just how UN-progressive the WTS has become!

* 1980's: Simplification program

* 1990: Voluntary donation arrangement for literature

* 1995/6: Generation change

* 2005: first reduction in magazine production; monthy Awake/WT & monthy in-house WT

* 2006: Bethel layoffs begin

* 2007: change to 30 minute Public Talk

* 2008: Overlapping generations

* 2009: Elimination of Book Study as separate meeting

* 2010: WTS begins closing/merging Branch facilities and selling branch properties

* 2011: Credit card machines at assembly halls and conventions

* 2012: begin selling Brooklyn properties

* 2013: reduction in size of magazines

Disturbing, but in a good way! --RN

• wokeup
  • metatron
    metatron

Loss of subscriptions

Loss of food service at assemblies

Selling off printing presses and equipment

huge loss of congregations in Japan

Paperback books to save pennies per book (calculated in pressroom)

metatron

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Recent Possibly 2010: Change from PO to COBE

Recent Possibly 2011: Drop to 30 hours in required auxiliary hours

Recent Possibly 2011: Drop the inactive publisher assist program

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

1999 : Regular pioneer hours decrease from 90 avg/month to 70

2011: Gilead stops accepting missionaries

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The Overlapping Generation change came in 2010, not 2008: In the Watchtower 2010 April 15 issue, the generation doctrine was changed in an attempt to reintroduce urgency.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1992 Nethinim to the Governing Body

• JWOP
    JWOP

When you put all that reduction together in one place, it actually undermines the Watchtower Society's claim of being God's spokesmen: If they were truly chosen of God, why all this dwindling over the years?

• JWOP
    JWOP

....of course, I don't believe their claim, I'm just wondering what THEIR idea is to quell such thoughts....

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

What year was it in the 90's that the Awake magazines masthead was changed to eliminate the year 1914 ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit