Cedar's 'Why The Watch Tower Society Is Already In Decline"

by Dogpatch 35 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Since this seems like the Cedar's article meta-thread, is there anyone with real insight into the society's finances? Does anyone know if they suffered devastating losses in the stock market crash? I just find all the recent cost-cutting changes and sell off of properties at "low" prices to be sign in itself that something big financially happened back in the late 2000's. . . .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Perhaps they were "spirit-guided" to invest with Bernie Madoff.

If so, the old GB retirement fund needs a big top up.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sic Semper:

from demanding that they not wear jeans at any time ...

Greetings:

In the early 1970s flair leg and bell bottom pants became the rage. Both were prohibited at Bethel. NHK said if you wanted to wear them, confine their wear to your room or hallway. My roommate wore the sauciest bell bottom whites to the factory and got the hottest stares....

CoCo

• Room 215
    Room 215

Here's a minority opinion of Knorr: Hardly a spiritual visionary, he was a pragmatist who harbored his own doubts about foundational doctines, notably 1914 --- Ray was on the money when he quoted NHK as syaing: "1914? I don't know; we'll wait and see," or something to that effect, lots of folks I know heard him voice such sentiments informally, in social settings; that's an attitude many, if not most of the Bethel family shared -- myself included.

He was, as Randy and others descirbed, mean-spirited and vindictive, but he was willing to overlook someone's misgivings about doctrine or chronology, etc. as long as they didn't publicize or promote them outside of Bethel's precincts, especially if he favored the person, or considered him of too much usefulness to sacrifice on the altar of orhodoxy.

His -- and Freddy's -- opposition to the Governing Body arrangement was also an open secret at Bethel -- he said more than once at the breakfast table, that the changeovert to the GB would occur "over my dead body;" prophetic words indeed.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Good thread. Can anyone provide an update to FatFreek 2005's translated language counts for the Awake! on page 1?

• prologos
    prologos

ron dogpatch: right! "only F--FRanz was the real bad cop-- inventing bloodtransfusion AND all--" no! "FOR" all. I remember a talk Franz gave in N Y Yankee stadium about mandatory refusing blood tranfusions for PETS! no kidding! with his high pitched voice; insecure looks, he could have passed for a re-incarnation of Joseph the Goebbels the mouthpiece of that other nutty "father figure" Power- mogul, the Ver-Fuehrer of the fatherland. peace.

Ps. german-speakers might enjoy the term "Verfranzed" meaning hoplessly lost, as a 1930s pilot in the clouds. like "all balled up", appropriately synonimous derived from F Franz, the erratic theologian of the wtbts. "Ver franzed" like confused, misguided by/ or like Franz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit