Emblem stupidity, and the bizarre dance of the confused memorial-taker

by cedars 89 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Sorry. I think I went off topic a little.

Don't let it happen again. The eyes of a ranger are upon you.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

The eyes of a ranger are upon you.

LMAO!!

When Chuck Norris was born, the only one who cried was the doctor... You don't slap Chuck Norris...

• mrquik
    mrquik

Ahh another "Memorial" with me drinking a nice scotch & soda. You have to appreciate the hypocrisy of this meeting. JW's acknowledge the memorial is not for the rank & file. They admit they attend out of respect as there is no Biblical mandate in their religion for them to be there. So, basically this is a "custom" of the Witnesses. I remember many Watchtower articles vilifying mainstream religions for their observing holy days that they admit were customs. Takes one to know one. I just came back inside after raising my scotch & soda to the full moon. I think this shall become my custom. Feel free to join me. (And no vilifying me for using a blended scotch, you limey bastards.)

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

mrquik~I can't drink, myself...but I'll join you with my bottled water flavored with strawberry watermelon Mio LOL

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

00Dad - The Hokey Pokey song made me spit my Manhattan out!

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that we should start a thread on how unBiblical, how stupid, and how dysfunctional this whole JW "memorial" really is.

Wait - I think we already did.

Anyway -

1) do they have a biblical reference that says it should be done only once a year? (no)

2) do they have a biblical shred of evidence that only some mysterious "upper elite" should partake? (no)

3) do they even practice it on the actual day of the old Jewish passover? (no)

4) have they called anyone who actually partakes of the "emblems" mentally ill? (yes)

5) does the "Governing Body" still partake anyway? (well, answer this for your own self).

• mP
    mP

Another strange point rarely mentioned is that Jesus only witnessed to jews, thus his directions about remembering him it could be argued were given only to Jews for Jews to remember. All these gentile people are following instructions that were never given to them or intended for them to respect.

• startingover
  • smiddy
    smiddy

cedars

Did you happen to notice any who partook ? Just curious

smiddy

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

james_woods wrote:

Just as a side question - is the word "Emblems" used in this context an exclusively JWism? Or, do other religions call the bread and the wine this?

When I spent time among various evangelical protestant sects, they would refer to the bread and wine as the "elements," not the "emblems." I have a feeling this is another JW-ism that sounds sort of protestant but is slightly tweaked to differentiate their brand from the other guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit