Emblem stupidity, and the bizarre dance of the confused memorial-taker

by cedars 89 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Well, I went along to the memorial with Mrs Cedars. It was my first since my "awakening" just less than a year ago. Apparently I made a lot of people happy by being there (even if it was only building up false hopes), the most important of which were my family. I'm looking forward to the time coming when I can make the total switch to no longer attending, but for now it seems a small price to pay to keep my family believing my soul isn't in immediate peril (which, of course, it isn't anyway).

It all went according to plan. We arrived just before the proceedings began, and left right after the final "amen", so no time for any love-bombing thank you very much. Just the odd handshake on my way to and from the exit. Things were made considerably easier by the fact that the elders had appointed arguably the least sociable of all brothers in our hall for the "meet and greet" role on the front door. I slid past him effortlessly with him barely noticing (careful not to wake him up). There weren't even any brothers wearing flourescent tabards to contend with while parking.

At one point I nearly embarrassed my wife and burst into unbridled laughter. This moment came during the ceremony when I first noticed the memorial taker's complete ineptitude and absent-mindedness when it came to passing the emblems. I was wondering if anyone experienced anything similar?

Apparently, even though he had given the emblem (either the bread or the wine) to the memorial attendants, and received the same to put back on the table at the front, he evidently felt that this did not sufficiently constitute "passing" the emblems, and therefore needed to give the emblem back again before receiving it a final time and placing it back down on the table. I nearly laughed out loud when I saw it, but managed to contain my decorum. The whole thing evoked memories of memorials of years gone by where the talk-giver actually seats himself on the front row to receive each of the emblems before getting back up on his feet to continue with his talk. Absolute certifiable madness.

Is it me, or does this betray a complete lack of common sense and sound judgment on the part of these guys? They are obviously so overcome by paranoia and the importance of their "privilege" that they believe Jehovah is there watching their every move and putting a big black cross next to their names if they don't handle the emblems in a certain way. It doesn't take a genius to realise that they have "passed" the emblems simply by touching them, or by being a link in the chain that passes them along to others. The over-the-top idiotic approach only makes them look like nut-jobs to any interested ones, who must think the whole celebration centres around some kind of masonic ritual. At best, it's eccentric behavior - at worst, it's a tragic (and very public) dance of the confused and bewildered.

Anyway, I would be curious to know whether any others out there witnessed such bizarre and frankly ludicrous behavior? One also wonders why the Society doesn't state more clearly in its directions to elders that simply handling the emblems at all is sufficient?

Cedars

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I remember that those who passed the emblems had to arrive earlier so they could rehearse the process passing the wine and the bread to each other....so after having passed the emblems to the audience, the wine glasses and dishes were placed back on the table set on the platform, then the speaker would pick up the emblem and hand it off to the first server sitting in the front row, then he would rush to the end of the row and sit waiting to receive the emblem...Like in NFL football, a poor hand-off resulted in confusion and a failed play to the amusement of some of us...

• 00DAD
    00DAD

But Cedars, it's ALWAYS done that way!

Did you see me there? I was right next to you. I attended Jesus-style this year. Yes, that's right! I was ... INVISIBLY PRESENT!

• undercover
    undercover

Did you bother to pay attention to the talk? Any different than years past? (I'd like to see someone do a count on how many times they say "Jesus" vs "anointed" or "144,000")

Did they mention the number of partakers from last year?

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD:

But Cedars, it's ALWAYS done that way!

Very true, it IS always done to varying degrees of insanity. Maybe I'm only truly noticing now that I've awakened. I do find NVR2L8's NFL analogy very apt. They handle those emblems like hot potatos in very well rehearsed and choreographed routines. Do they honestly think this was what Jesus intended when he sat down for a simple meal with his followers?

Did you see me there? I was right next to you. I attended Jesus-style this year. Yes, that's right! I was ... INVISIBLY PRESENT!

Invisible or not, you would have had a job squeezing in next to me, because I was enclosed on both sides. Unless you were behind me? In which case, thanks for taking the full force of that woman who was coughing on my neck...

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

undercover - good question! I'm not making this up or trying to be outrageous, but I honestly wasn't listening. Not listening is so much easier when the talk is not being given in your native language, and I am currently living in a non-English-speaking country and have a very limited mastery of the lingo. I did pick out the odd reference to Jesus in my more lucid moments, but in all honesty, my mind was elsewhere. At one point I remembered something completely unrelated and spent the next 10 minutes or so just thinking about that. I was THAT detached, so very much only there in body and not in mind, or spirit. Great, huh?!

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Yeah, it's become an empty ritual. It seems like I remember Jesus saying a thing or two 'bout that .....

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yeah its a pretty funny scene. Most of the time I remember them handing it to the speaker after everyone else was done, so the audience has nothing else to do but stare at what is going on up on stage. In theory, it would make sense for the partakers to have their own row up front and just pass it through them. Of course there would be quite a murmer from the audience everytime someone new sat down front in the "partaker" row.

Any nibble and sippers at your congo?

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Cedars,

My wife mentioned the Memorial for the first time today...but she did not dare to ask if I was going....I acted surprised and told her that the Jewish passover was tomorrow...so my son said "well the days started after sundown...", so I replied that I meant Friday after sundown...I should know since I there is a Jewish girl at work who strickly observes jewish celebrations...So I told my wife that Jesus would have ate passover tomorrow night and not tonight...Her reply was "well Memorial is tonight!" I hope she and my son think about it when the speaker says that Jesus ate his last passover this very same night so many years ago...JW "scholars" must know better about jewish holidays than the jews themselves...

• Poztate
    Poztate
    The whole thing evoked memories of memorials of years gone by where the talk-giver actually seats himself on the front row to receive each of the emblems before getting back up on his feet to continue with his talk. Absolute certifiable madness.

This was still done in my Wife's congregation the last time I showed up about three years ago.

What a farce....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit