Feeling a little weird today

by Bucholz 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

Hello everybody, so I've been out of the WT for almost a year now. I did go to the Memorial last year, but that was pretty much the last meeting I attended. Thing is, as a born-in, I have never missed one, this will be the first.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely NO desire to go back, but after all these years there's a weird feeling about it. Also I have run into 2 JW's I hadn't seen in a long time and know I'm out but still speak to me, and both of them invited me to the Memorial. Just 2 minutes ago my grandfather, who had never called me on the phone (but still speaks to me) invited me to attend his.

Even though I would hate the idea of even coming close to a KH, I'm starting to think about whether I should go or not. What would you do guys?

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is a natural feeling - just from the force of habit.

You are making new habits now - this feeling will eventually go away.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its up to you. All of us born ins have serious indoctrination issues, which take years to resolve. Sometimes going to an event like the memorial reminds you how silly the whole religion is, and helps you reaffirm your decision to leave.

The JWs you are running into are simply inviting you because they think your life is in danger if you don't go, they just don't know any better.

• anezthy
    anezthy

The feeling will go away with time. It's just like a divorce. At the beginning you miss your spouse and your marriage. Then the memories just start to fade and you go on with your life in another direction. I wonder if your Grandfather who never calls you was counting his time so he can report it at the end of the month. Live long and enjoy each moment!

• Dagney
    Dagney

As born-ins, we have given "the Memorial" its power. It is natural to feel weird about not going.

Think about where you want your life to go. Where does going to the memorial fit in? Will it help you on your journey to create a new life?

It will loses its power over time as you place your focus on other things.

All the best.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's just an emotion---which sometimes bypasses our thoughts. I can't tell you what to do, but if you choose not to go, that feeling will leave you.
    The first time is the hardest---like the first time I posted here---or the first time I admitted I was an atheist. I knew I was doing the right thing, but still felt weird. I never even think about it now---HOWEVER if I were facing a JW who had this knowledge about me---I'm pretty sure some of those feelings would come back at first.

For myself, I really don't think anything could ever bring me back into a KH. Not memorial, wedding, funeral---just nothing. The thought of it makes me feel queasy, and I do believe that just the experience would make me physically ill.

You may feel very differently.

NC

• jworld
    jworld

I was born into the JW's too. I went to the memorial last year, which I knew would be my last.

A huge shout out to Moshe, I read his memorial write up last year and sat at the KH ticking of every error in the talk. It was like my eyes were finally open. Needless to say, I feel good in not attending this year.

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

This will be the first one I miss at the KH too. However, I still believe in Christ and am closer to him than ever before. I did partake at home last time after being at the Hall with my wife. While at the Hall, I did not touch the emblems just to pass/reject them. That bothered me.

The question is, why would you go? For Jesus? For your family? Going to the memorial and passing on the emblems is NOT a command as you probably already know. Why do you really feel bad? You can observe this on your own and if you do believe in Jesus and want to follow him, you can partake by yourself.

Your brother in Christ,

Greybeard

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I too am a born in, and I hope that today will be the last memorial that I ever attend. Next year I'll probably be experiencing the same emotions as you. The struggle for physical and mental freedom will probably be the most challenging one in my life. Reading the comments of those in here who have gotten free and feel much better about life gives me a lot of hope though.

• White Dove
    White Dove

It's today?

This is the first Memorial that I really didn't know about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit