Who are the Underlappers? (This Generation)

by 00DAD 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 00DAD
    00DAD

So I was thinking yesterday ... trying to figure out this New-Light TM understanding of the "Overlapping Generations" explanation of Mark 13:30, Matthew 24:34, etc. It can be confusing but I think I finally got it!

I now understand that, in his Great Prophecy about the End of this System of Things, Jesus:

"... evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." - w2010 4/15, pps. 27-29

And I understand that while it SEEMS to any logical, reasonable person that these two different groups are really from two completely different generations, they are in actual fact part of only one great, big happy Overlapping Generation. They are the Overlappers. Any previous misunderstanding of the meaning of the ordinary, common word "generation" was purely a mistake on my part, the fault was of course mine and mine alone. I accept full and complete responsibility for that and now I've got it straight! How happifying.

But there's still a problem. Please help me out here if you can.

What about the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 but whose lives did NOT overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation? I mean clearly many or even most of them--in fact possibly all but one of them--died before the first person in the second group was born. So what do we call THEM? Because obviously they weren't Overlappers. Should we call them Underlappers? I think that is an appropriate term.

And while we're at it, what about those in the later group--the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation--but were born AFTER the last anointed one in the first group died? I mean, cleary THEY are not "Overlappers" either! I mean not individually at least. They may be part of the group, but as unique people they don't qualify. Are they also Underlappers? It would seem so.

This brings up a NEW problem. How do we distinguish between the Underlappers in the first group and the Underlappers in the second group? Such a dilemma. I propose that we call them Underlappers I and Underlappers II, the Sequel.

That makes sense, don't you think?

But then what about the Underlappers II that die before Armageddon. They're really under-achievers, don't you think? How should we identify them? It's really a problem!

I do hope the Society publishes some more New Light TM on this very important subject soon. It would help to clarify matters. It's all so very confusing. Wouldn't it be much simpler if they just stuck to teaching us to be better, more loving and compassionate people than trying to reinvent new meanings for ordinary words like "generation"? What would Jesus do?

I'm just sayin' is all!

00DAD

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

LOL

It's kinda like leap frog.

Under and Over Under and Over Under and Over Under and Over Under and Over Under and Over

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DLL, that's pretty funny: Leap-frog. What a way to create a theology for a world religion, eh?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My father professes to be of the anointed. One thing I always found interesting, and you probably won't find much written about it by the WTB&TS, is his belief that all of the 144,000 must die and be resurrected prior to Armageddon. His reasoning behind this was that it is because the "kingdom government" is comprised of Jesus and the 144,000 in heaven. All who are part of that kingdom government have the privilege of participating in the events that unfold during Armageddon. For Armageddon to start prior to that kingdom government being complete would rob one of its members of that privilege.

With over 10K+ professing to be of the annointed and growing, that just keeps putting the "big A" down the road. It's the end of the world and this time they mean it, for real.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

truth_b_known, yeah, the more you look at all the illogical teachings and inconsistencies in WT "Theology" it becomes more and more embarrassing to admit to one's self that you ever believed any of this silly nonsense and actually went around trying to convince others that it was "The Truth!"

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I looked up the w2010 4/15 pp 27-29 and did not find your qutaion. I would like the read the complete article. What was the title of the article?

I found that article to be "Are you following the Christ." Did I just miss it? Really interested, am an xjw.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

My mistake. It's from the Watchtower of Apr 15, 2010, page 10: Holy Spirit?s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah?s Purpose

You can also see the same quote attributed to John Barr at the 2010 annual meeting in the Watchtower of June 15, 2010 p . 5. There, Barr presented the latest understanding of the generation.

See Changes to the Generation Teaching on the jwfacts.com website for more info.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

panhandlegirl since you have that magazine would you mind posting a scan of the page with this quote on it?

Thanks!!!

00DAD

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Well, I have just finished reading the article, "Holy Spirit's Role in the Outworking of Jehovah's Purpose." The writer uses a bizzarre method of reasoning, to say the least. It has been so long since I read/studied a WT that I can not now believe I actually believed all the nonsense. I hope that's not lible, but the whole reasoning is a little "out there." I don't think it could survive a serious critical analysis. I need to reread it and consider the scriptues quoted. I have a scanner but have no clue on how to use it. One of my friends told me all I had to do was push the "scan button" but I think I need a little more information that that. I will try and figure out how to do it but if anyone has any instructions on how to scan the material and get it on this site, I will try it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have spent so much time trying to understand Watchtower thinking and trying to out-logic them.

But no more. I refuse to be limited by trying to out-think Watchtower. Of course the OVERLAP GENERATION thing makes no sense, so exercises in examining it are only like mind-puzzles designed to entertain us- nothing more. Good job on that.

Unthinking respect for authority is the enemy of truth- Albert Einstein. Put a Watchtower spin on that: Unthinking respect for the authority of Watchtower doctrine is the enemy of actual truth- OnTheWayOut.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit