Watchtower's United Nations Association

by Celestial 61 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've been a member of several different Ys. Never have I heard a shred about Jesus or God in the building. I think the Christian bit is historical. Jews in NY have the YWHA, primarily the 92nd St. Y. I have attended different fascinating lectures at the 92nd Y. It is a very upscale neighborhood. Judaism was not mentioned. My hunch is that Christian was a code word for no Jews and Hebrew was a code word for no Christians. The reality is completely at odds with their account.

I did join a Y when a teenager b/c of this issue. My assumption is that the money is used to maintain the facilities. They charge a reasonable amount for the facilities. Not cheap by any means. There are no Bibles or religious tracts aside.

Are we supposed to refuse Red Cross services in a disaster b/c once upon a time in Europe a Christian thought it was good to show a standard cross so each side would know its humanitarian principle. The Red Cross would have no role to play in war time if it were aligned with other side and delivered munitions. The Middle East has the red crescent.

Some pagan things are acceptable and other pagan things will get you disfellowshipped. We are descendants of pagans. It is our heritage.

• mind blown
    mind blown

NOTE: Letter from WTS to other congregations......"Still, the Criteria for Association of NGOs-at least in their lastest version- contian laugauge we cannot attain to.

Therefore, even the WTS addmits they cannot attain to the NGOs Criteria, (until busted by the masses) so your case is a mute one =Exhibit A

NOTE: Letter from United Nations..."The criteria for Association for NGOs has not changed since 1991"

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

When is the Watchtower going to make clear to all those who do not remember Babylon the Great book just who they think the UN is now according to the Bible. What are they afraid of if they have nothing to hide it's part of their history and baggage. Ask them a straight question do they believe the UN is a whore? lets see it in writing.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Whether or not you think the UN/NGO affiliation is a good/bad thing, here is the reality:

God's earthly organization requires the help of the United Nations to further religious freedoms including the preaching work. This from the god who claims he could have the stones cry out in order to spread his message. . . .

Yeah right!

• sizemik
    sizemik

That letter from WTS is pure unadulterated bullshit.

They still attend NGO meetings and represent the interests of JW's today (eg; conscription in S. Korea) . . . they just do it through individuals and paper organisations in order to hide it. They still have to swear allegiance to the UN charter. Nothing changed apart from the fact it became well known and their blatant hypocrisy was showing . . . again. The hypocrisy is still there . . . it's just not showing anymore.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    As long as you don't recognize them as such, I don't see why interacting with the U.N. or other political organizations on a limited basis should be such a problem.

It is a problem, because the WT said it is a problem. They made the rules ... they demanded that JWs who broke the rules were abused by their families and congregation members for their 'sins', and then they broke them.

The WT goes to great lengths to get the grammar right when they write their rules, so when you read them, read them within the framework of good grammar and try to understand the intention of the author in the context of when & why it was written. What you 'feel', or would prefer the author to have intended, or is apparent in hindsight, doesn't alter history.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The "World Headquarters" letter does not look like WT Letterhead. What gives?

Looks like something anyone could spit out of MS-Word.

What does the "Via Compuserve" mean?

Sorry, but this would never convince a JDub.

Doc

• cantleave
    cantleave

DoC it is indeed the wording reflects the letter I saw when I was serving as Elder.

• Celestial
    Celestial
    Celestial; why don't you try interacting with your local church group, even for non-religious reasons, and then telling the elders there is nothing wrong with that?
    How long do you think you will remain a member of the congregation?
    It is the duplicity and hypocrisy of the situation that creates the issue.

I'm not a member of the Christian congregation. I have a publisher's record card, but I'm not an active member. I'm not certain Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth, I'm not certain they do not have the truth. I'd have to be an active member of the congregation, free from vices that can compromise a person's spirituality (according to Jehovah's Witnesses perception of the Bible anyway) for an adequate period of time to establish this certainty.

A person can't escape trivial interaction with political and commercial organizations unless they can be self-sufficient on a desert island.

http://gwt.scripturetext.com/1_corinthians/5.htm

I didn't tell you that you could not have any contact with unbelievers who commit sexual sins, are greedy, are dishonest, or worship false gods. If that were the case, you would have to leave this world. 1 Corinthians 5:10

There's a difference in having contact with a political entity and forming an alliance with it. There's no reason however, to collaborate with other religious organizations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit