BEARDS: Why JW men don't have them

by 00DAD 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Very true Piztjw. My Elder Brother/ real brother related with joy what he learned from a CO at Eldub school. " When the GB say ," Jump!", YOU say, " HOW HIGH???", while still in the air! Ahhh..., how spiritual..

I explained all about beards to a very devout Christian man. His eyes nearly bugged out of his skull! WHAT!?!??! Then we talked all about CTR's beard and Rutherfords hatred of beards. That lead to Beth-Sarim and "generations" and all kinds of "witnessing!" LOL!!!

DD

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Sorry to bump an old thread but had this mentioned for the first time EVER in our hall last night with no scriptural explanation whatsoever.

The elder was doing the bible highlights and discussed the nazirites who grew their hair long to show subjection to jehovah. He read the scripture where it pointed this out and then without pointing to any other scripture said and I quote: "Notice it says nothing about not taking a blade to their faces!!! That's why we don't have beards!!!"

The faces in the hall were a picture of 'did he really just say that?!

I scoffed quite audiably as it was so ridiculous.

• Splash
    Splash

@lurkernomore And here was me thinking Jesus nailed that old law to the torture stake, and that it was "erased".

Splash.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Splash: And here was me thinking ...

That's your problem, Splash: You were thinking!

Don't do that. The WTBTS has brothers assigned to do that for you.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

That elder sure is a Nazi, rite?

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

This particular elder is a complete and utter T#$t and that's putting it mildly

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

lurkernomore: This particular elder is a complete and utter T#$t and that's putting it mildly

Did you mean TWIT? That's not even a bad word!

It just means, "a stupid or foolish person" or " a silly annoying person : fool "

Why mark out the middle two letters!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for reviving this thread. I'd like to cast a different light on it: the implicit racism behind the WTS no-beards policy. When I associated with the mostly black Graymont Congregation in Birmingham, Alabama, this was a topic we'd talk about from time to time. Shaving is a great irritant to the facial skin of black men if it is done daily. Many of us would shave as little as possible. I know I would do so only when I had to attend a congregation meeting and other black Witness men did likewise. Those who shaved daily used to complain about the rash that appeared on their faces or the pain or burning they would feel.

I asked some if headquarters was aware of the problems shaving caused us. They told me that Bethel was well aware because they had written letters explaining the problem and asking for the rule to be eliminated. The answer they received was always a flat refusal with no good reason or scriptural citation given. The Governing Body was completely insensitive to our concerns, choosing instead to ignore the effects their unreasonableness had on some men of color. The policy is racist and reflects the real feelings of the Governing Body toward non-white Witnesses.

I think the WTS did grant one concession to us, however. There was no ban on moustaches, hair many black men wear as a badge of honor. If the WTS had ever gone so far as to insist on their removal, that might have provoked the kind of uproar among us that would have been both embarrassing and costly. Maybe the WTS decided that price would have been too high to pay.

Quendi

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Aww c'mon. Didn't the mythical Jesus character have an awesome beard?

Come to think of it, I haven't shaved in weeks. I prefer to keep a good 2 weeks of growth on at least. I only shave when I pretend to go to the meeting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit