As a JW, did you eat at any religious restaurant?

by Iamallcool 49 Replies latest jw friends

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    I shed that feeling about entering churches when my father took a contract to cleans some church offices. It's just a building.

Ya know it's strange Mrs.Jones, cuz to enter a church for a wedding or even a funeral wouldn't bother me as I'm not necessarily participating in anything as much as I'm just a visitor, or even a guest. On the other hand, to purchase a fish sandwich would be to support the church even if the proceeds are for an honorable cause. I know it's completely retarded and an asinine way of viewing things and one would think I've advanced enough beyond WT bull shit to let something like a fish sandwich disturb me, but I just can't cross that line.

Obviously there plenty of other options are available for lunch in this area for me not to lose sleep over this one fish sandwich, so I guess that makes it more of a non-issue yet it also highlights just how deep this WT indoctrination is in me. Like I can't believe I'm typing this but, to be honest with you, I have some trepidation when it comes to purchasing a fish sandwich from something associated with Babylon the Great and I don't even believe the WT's interpretation of Babylon the Great. I guess you can maybe call it a combination of stupidity, fear, indoctrination, and cognitive dissonance.

Ironic thing is I'm about to go see a rated R movie, Safe House, with plenty of violence and bad language, maybe even the occasional softcore booby, and that doesn't bother my conscience as much as purchasing a fish sandwich from a church. The WT has done a number on my head.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Feel the fear ..... and DO IT ANYWAY!

Go buy the fish sandwich, do it everyday until you are sick to death of fish sarnies....eventually it won't bother you anymore.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

At least you can see the nonsense.

My hubby wants to see that movie tomorrow. Tell if me if you liked it.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Up in New England we used to have this donut/coffee shop called Bess Eaton donuts that put scriptures on the coffee cups. Some JWs were highly offended at anyone that ate there. Me and my mom said, what's the difference, they're the same scriptures we read.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Lilbluekitty, here in Canada we have a sacred donut/coffee shop too. It's called Tim Horton's. Named after a famous Hockey player.

Many JW's frequent it on Saturdays, and during the week for coffee breaks. It is very addictive to go there. It's almost like what the Asians consider to be an Opium house, but the drug that is used is Caffeine and other mysterious chemicals..and oh yes...it is now the season of "Roll up the rim, to win" A pagon celebration that the Society hasn't caught up to yet. It's like buying a lottery ticket and winning a car.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never heard of any secular business, except those specializing in Christian literature and music, that are specifically "religious". Even the Christmas decoration shops I frequent, which sell religious decorations, are mainly secular in nature (Bronners does try to put "Christ" back into Christmas, but even they are primarily a Christmas decoration business).

As for diners and grocers, I don't think too many are religious. I might be able to find such places that cater to religious needs--primarily in Muslim and Jewish areas where certain foods are taboo. But, none are owned as part of a religion--catering to Jews and Muslims is strictly a business decision. I could start a food business that caters to the Muslim religion and not even be a Muslim (let alone a leader of a mosque), based solely on business decisions. If the marketplace changes (more Christians or unaffiliated people move in) and demand for "taboo" foods picks up enough, I would then expand into those areas as business warrants. However, I never heard of any food stores or diners of any kind that are specifically religious in nature.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I was an active Witness I sometimes used to frequent a little cafe run by volunteers from a local charismatic christian church, I guess profits went to the church, they had a few boring tracts scattered around, I took some of those and read them, but then I was never a super-uber Dub, I did a lot of things not approved of by the more Pharisaical JW's.

I never feared reading anything, reasoning that I had the truth so false doctrine would not affect me.

I would not normally contribute to something like the Sally Army, as a big percentage went towards their proseletysing work, diverting funds from their charity work, but as an active Witty I did give a few coins to their band when they played at christmas in the street, just loved the Oompah sound of it !

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What do some JWs have against scriptures anyways? Will they burst into flames if they are exposed directly to one without the WT feeding it to them?

• undercover
    undercover

I'm gonna open a JW only restaurant and call it Cheeseburgers in Paradise.

(with apologies to Jimmy Buffet, who should open a cafeteria called Jimmy's Buffett - though he already has Margaritaville for the boat drinks and blown out flip-flop crowd)

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Undercover, hubby and I would definately drive a dood distance to eat at Jimmy's Buffet!!! We would avoid Cheeseburgers in Paradise like the Plague.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit