the Ireland branch--> issues over the years

by WildeLover 51 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't know about crazy stuff Cedars , when you drive through village after village that have memorials to the martyrs who were slaughtered by the British in so many different years, and add to that the enslavement by Brit land owners and the callous starvation of the potato famine, you can see why anti-british sentiment runs high.

Add to that what has already been mentioned above, the attitude in the JW's that the "Bog Irish" couldn't run their own WT affairs , so those oh so clever Brits were sent to run bethel, (the yanks had to be sent in eventually) and many pleb JW's moved from Britain because they would be a big fish in a small congregation, it is amazing not more punch ups went on over the years !

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't know about crazy stuff Cedars , when you drive through village after village that have memorials to the martyrs who were slaughtered by the British in so many different years, and add to that the enslavement by Brit land owners and the callous starvation of the potato famine, you can see why anti-british sentiment runs high.

Add to that what has already been mentioned above, the attitude in the JW's that the "Bog Irish" couldn't run their own WT affairs , so those oh so clever Brits were sent to run bethel, (the yanks had to be sent in eventually) and many pleb JW's moved from Britain because they would be a big fish in a small congregation, it is amazing not more punch ups went on over the years !

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Phizzy - I'm not saying that resentment against the British wasn't justified, I'm just saying it perhaps went a little too far - especially in the Second World War. I don't know if the u-boat rumours were true, but I can imagine it happening given the Irish political stance towards Germany at the time, which was to declare themselves "neutral" in the conflict.

I may be British, but I know exactly how murderous and despicable my countrymen have been throughout history. I'm only grateful that Britain enjoys a better reputation these days. It will be nice when the time finally comes for atrocities in years gone by to be forgiven and forgotten, in much the same way as has been the case with Germany.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Don't mention the War!" good old Cleese in Faulty Towers.

I agree with your assesment of the feeling during WW2 in Ireland, which I can understand. Along with the rest of the world, they did not at the time know the full horror of the Nazi machine.

I agree too, that it will be good when historic wrongs are not affecting people's judgements in the present, after all , how far do you go back ?

"The members of your ancestral Neanderthal tribe clobbered mine ?"

There is a misuse of history within poltics and nationalism very often, the most glaring example being the State of Israel, whose very existence is founded on very suspect history and scant regard for justice.

• cedars
    cedars

Phizzy - to all that!!

I love this quote: "How far do you go back? 'The members of your ancestral Neanderthal tribe clobbered mine'...?"

Genius.

Cedars

• dozy
    dozy

I've known a few Brits who have moved over to Ireland over the years (and usually moved back a few years later). There was a trend for families to live just north of the border (so that they could claim all the benefits etc) & go to a congregation in Eire , which always struck me as somewhat hypocritical , as the WTBTS actively encouraged this , while in the Kingdom Ministry encouraging JWs to be living in their own congregations territory.

Ireland has always been a challenging place for JWs. The ratio (1 in 750) is one of the poorest in Europe & can't be simply explained away by the power of the Catholic church as other countries do much better (eg Italy 1 in 250). There always has been something of an apostate history going back to the 60's & May , Merrimen et al in the Franz era - maybe there always will be.

The one thing I do know , talking to a few JWs that have Irish connections , is that many of the local JWs are very unhappy about the selling of the Bethel and transferring all admin to London. One CO described it as "asset stripping" (and this guy is a WTBTS loyalist.) You have to remember that most of the brothers in Ireland either worked on the Bethel or donated money for it. There was always a degree of pride in having the Bethel in Ireland. A really foolish decision by the society , and one I think they will regret (especially if the Bethel doesn't sell - already they are selling it for less than half what they could have got for it a few years ago.)

• tornapart
    tornapart

Love Father Ted too Cedars! I can just imagine a punchup between the Brit and the Irish!!... I can just imagine the Brits wanting to 'take over'.. isn't that what they've always done? (and I confess to being a Brit LOL)

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

Tornapart, this was all the english brothers fighting.

one of those brother in particular is a disgrace. i had dealings with him a number of years and i was SICK. i was absolutely put out by him and his attitude. his wife is no better.

it makes my blood boil thinking about it.

anywho, 2 elements have contributed to the lack of "growth" in ireland

fear of church and fea of neighbour or what will the neighbours say.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Brits swinging at each other, eh? Shame they couldn't both lose.

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

it's all hearsay but i could defo imagine one of them being violent. he was very pretentious.

but there was such a weird vibe in that bethel for years....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit