Does the necktie have a pagan origin?

by Cirkeline 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hate the bloody things, I only wear one where the occasion really really demands it, I hated wearing one to the K.H.

They are becoming much less used in the U.K now, business people will often not wear one, politicians are seen without one frequently, and on the T.V they are used less often, the guy in charge of a news programme may wear on, but often the reporters do not.

I will not be sorry to see it disappear entirely, but I do think we need a smart alternative, the open neck shirt look is too informal sometimes, perhaps us chaps should champion the use of the roll neck sweater sort of garment ?

If worn with good quality jacket and trousers (pants fer da yanks) they can still look smart, but not as prattish as a tie.

• caliber
    caliber

another thought about the necktie which some might agree with..

"Neckties are viewed by various sub- and counter-culture movements as being a symbol of submission and slavery (i.e. having a symbolic chain around one's neck) to the corrupt elite of society, as a 'wage slave'.(sorry lost my quote source)

also this ..

Military scarves, like the ones commonly worn by Roman legionaries or Han Chinese soldiers were NO ties, but, surprise, scarves. Their function was to prevented the armour rubbing at the neck, and not meant for personal adornment

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Christianity and Judaism are pagan in origin, so to find something that isn't you'll have to start looking into other planets.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

There should be a book "stalking the wild pagan origin"

OH NO life has a pagan origin

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Hmm...I've heard of the Columbian Neck Tie..wouldn't want one though. :)

• Cirkeline
    Cirkeline

Thank you for all your comments. Very educational.

Yes, Prodigalson; I agree, everything has a pagan origin, but obvious all the JW-men wearing this military, phallic symbolistic peace of cloth will not agree.

Therefor, I really hope to confront some of them with this. Especially if some of them ever will dare to comment my or any other womans dress-length or clevage. Would loooove to!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit