Does the necktie have a pagan origin?

by Cirkeline 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cirkeline
    Cirkeline

I wonder if some of you know the origin of the necktie? I have sometimes heard people saying it's a fallos-symbol, but is there a valid background for this?

• TD
    TD

The origin of the nectie is military, (The abbreviated cravat worn by soldiers in the thirty years war) just like the dress jacket. --Don't know if that makes it pagan or not.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It does have an origin in military organizations (I think France). It was in one of the Awake!'s (not kidding).

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

My ancestors brought it to France

A cravat, symbol of culture and elegance, is associated with Croats. They have not actually patented it, but they spread it as an accesorry across Europe in the 17th century. Then it became and, to this day, remained a necessary article of clothing under the name of Croatia.

What is the histoy of the cravat? After Turkish attacks, the Croatian Military Boreder was formed and its soldiers were an inexhaustible source for other European battlefields. They participated in the German Thirty Years War (1618-1648) and they were easily recognized because of the scarves around their necks, a predecessor of the cravat. From 1635 Croatian soldiers also served in France and in 1667 a special regiment named Royal Cravates was formed. Common soldiers wore scarves made of coarse materials and officers wore scarves made of fine cotton or silk.

These neck scarves were a part of Croatian battle dress and a kind of identification because uniforms did not exist at the time. It is known that the French king Louis XIV was involved in secret negotiations with counts Zrinski and Frankopan in order to get Croatia under French patronage. That failed, but the Sun King started to wear a cravat because it was more practical and more beautiful than the starched high-lace collar the French used to wear. When the most powerful European king put on the cravat, a new fashion style became popular. The court even employed a cravat-maker (cravatier) who delivered a few cravats to the king on a daily basis so he could choose the one that suited him most.

http://academia-cravatica.hr/interesting-facts/history/

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

It was the dam french that introduced this evil thing into our lives. That along with high cholesterol.

• Atlantis
  • Poztate
    Poztate

I posted this tongue in cheek comment about neckties 6years ago... Still good for a chuckle.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/adult/85689/1/Are-Neckties-For-Christians

For over two thousand years - since at least the Quin dynasty - the necktie (or cravat) has been the most widely used, and the most multicultural of all phallic symbols . Worn by the personal guard of Shih Huang Ti's terracotta army, by the orators of ancient Rome, and by a succession of dandies, fops, and power dressers throughout history, "the clothe prick" (As Lord Byron was said to have termed it) appears to be nearing the end of its unprecedented accessorial reign. The president of IBM, in a recent e-mail, announced that the cravat was no longer de rigueur for the once impeccably-tied "wing-tip warriors" of the giant multinational. Gianni Versace's latest book Men Without Ties is a runaway success. And now, at the most progressive corporations of New York, Paris, and London, it is quite permissible for men to appear dressed for business with no trace of silk, rayon, or polyester about their necks. What has come undone? Why, after an unprecedented two-thousand year reign, has the most useless, and yet the most fussed over, element of male attire gradually begun to whither in importance?

In 1900, in The Interpretation of Dreams, Sigmund Freud felt the urge to elucidate another aspect of the necktie's symbology. He wrote: "In men's dreams a necktie often appears as a symbol for the penis. No doubt this because neckties are long, dependent objects and peculiar to men. Men who make use of this symbol in dreams are often very extravagant in ties in real life and own whole collections of them." No doubt Freud was only making explicit what had been at the back of everybody's mind for quite some time, and yet his overt analysis did nothing to check the necktie's popularity. In fact, perhaps envious of such a ubiquitous form of menswear, sporting women began to wear the hanging thing. It was reasoned that a staid and well-tied male fashion accessory around the neck would counterbalance the evident feminine provocativeness of knickerbocker suits, Norfolk bodices and culotte skirts which women were beginning to wear in order to indulge in sports such as horseback riding, skating, sailing, and playing tennis.

The generation that began experimenting with neckwear in the 'fifties continued to develop their tastes in the sixties, with the Beats, the Mods, and the Regency Revivalists all taking up fantastically different and varied neckwear styles. Lord Lichfield, the dandy Royal photographer, even went to the extreme of reviving the Incroyable cravat with a huge bow. Said Lichfield: "A man doesn't dress for himself. He dresses to attract the girls.... I have an idea all men dress to be sexy like cock pheasants in the mating season."

French/American linguist and semiotician Dr Christine Nivet is more concerned about the changing phallic role of ties: "Anglophone culture is sexually very repressive, so it is not all that surprising that it spawned such a regimented symbol for virility. As Anglophone women are moving away from neo-puritan feminist ideologies, and the Anglophone men are becoming much less control-oriented, the necktie is undergoing a kind of parallel crisis. We see that the men of Versace's Men Without Ties have an ambiguous sexuality, while at the same time being quite confident. Now, in America, one can sell a perfume for men. This could not be done five years ago, just as businessman could not appear efficacious without a great big dangling tie. Anglophone men are becoming more sure, and less in need of a big display of themselves. For their part, Anglophone women are becoming more seductive, so men do not feel that they have to project their maleness all the time."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • Nebeska Nada
    Nebeska Nada

The necktie's origin is my country.

I doubt that my country has some pagan origins.

Poopsiecakes, where are you from?

• Azazel
    Azazel

well done poopsiecakes exactly correct.

Az

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit