American Football for a Brit

by cofty 38 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

I'm watching the Superbowl live in the UK.

Any tips on the what is going on? I have worked out the offensive team have to gain a certain amount of yards within a certain number of downs?

Any other tips welcome. Its 11:30pm here so I might not see the whole game.

Does it last for 4 x15 minutes?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

yes, 4 quarters of 15 minutes each which usually end up being at least double that plus a halftime show and the last quarter usually ends up being roughly an hour so the super bowl ends up being about 5 hours in length not counting the 5 hour pre-game show.

Enjoy!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

4 downs to gain 10 yards. If the 10 yards are not acheived after the 3rd down, the offence has the option to either try for a field goal or punt. If they select to go for it on the 4th down, usually when there is a very small amount of field needed to cover, if they miss they cede the ball to the other team at that spot on the field.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Still awake?

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks poopsiecakes. We have a full 5 hour program live on BBC. Amazing you can make 60 minutes last for 5 hours.

We don't have any commercials on BBC so we get pundits every time you go for a break.

I found a beginners guide online I think I am getting the hang of it but I don't think I will last until 4am. Got to go to work tomorrow. Might last until half time.

Who is favourite to win?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You just missed a David Beckham underwear commercial.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank god for that!

Ouch somebody just got a torn ACL - there goes 6-9 months of operation and rehab

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Yes, one thing I love about soccer is that the clock runs no matter what - even counting the extra time added at the end of each half or in situations where they play extra in the case of a tie, you know what time it'll be over.

Apparently, the Patriots are favored to win...

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

ok that David Beckham commercial was HAWT guys

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Thank god for that!

First of all, it was something to see, and second of all I thought you were a non believer!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit