My JW Brother-in-Law's Crisis of Conscience

by arko_n9ne 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks for your helpful response Ryan. H\I have a much better understanding of your home situation. I can also see how you would have thought that I was picking on you based on my comments to other posts you've made. That was not done on purpose but more to do with my having more time on those occasions to read and reply to posts that caught my attention. You happened to have raised topics that I had found interesting. My choice of words in replying to your post betrayed a mis-reading of what you had said - for which I apologize.

I like TD's comments (above) on the topic of monitoring other's activities on computers. There does seem to be a different attitude (among people - not specifically you) toward tracking in detail others' activities on computers than there is to eaves-dropping on and/or recording telephone conversations. It can be justified as when parents rightly want to ensure their minor children are sticking to safe sites etc. I also take the point that it is your computer but again, people who own landline phones usually do not track calls and content of others who use their phones (unless there are toll charges - and only then for ascertaining length of calls, not content of calls.

James Woods also expressed a point of view I can identify with: I would not want to have my computer co-used by others and it's got nothing to do with use of so-called private and/or adult sites. it's just a personal boundary issue. I also accept we are all different, as are our circumstances.

My philosophy is to remain open to feedback and, if I have erred, to apologize and do better next time. Steve

• 2tone
    2tone

Ryan, there is nothing unethical about what you did. Its theocratic warfare or reverse theocratic warfare. All is fair in love and war. It just shows you care about your family and no what kind of cult you and they are dealing with.

Steve2 ur a idiot. U dont have a clue. Ur not entitled to post stuff like you did. In fact, ur not entitled to ur own opinion on this thread. Anyone who says that ur allowed to say whatever u want, there just people that use that as an excuse to not stand up to people.

• steve2
    steve2

2tone, I did not realize that my apology and more tentatively expressed view would elicit such a barrage of put downs. Even Ryan welcomed different views on the topic and these were provided by other posters as well, including TD and James Woods. Ryan had objected to what I had implied about him and I subsequently apologized.

Surely a forum such as this should be safe for people to express their honestly felt views but also to be open to feedback on how they are coming across if it appears to have crossed a line. No one at any stage, including me, has said that I am allowed to say whatever I want. I am very mindful of the impact of my choice of words on people especially if I have wrongly made assumptions abou them. You do not have to agree with my views on this thread but to resort to calling me an "idiot" who is not entitled to post stuff like I did seems very unhelpful and quite abusive.

• 2tone
    2tone

ya ur rite, i jumped the gun i didnt read any other posts past urs lol sorry

• steve2
    steve2

No problem. I've jumped the gun many times myself!

• arko_n9ne
    arko_n9ne

steve2 and i are opening new doors to understanding on this thread. wow.

i hope the jwn public can use this thread in understanding that we all make mistakes. none of us are immune to miscommunication and misinterpretation. clearly a human flaw the watchtower can capitolize on.

but what sets us apart from the watchtower drones has been proven here. we admit our flaws. we dont blame others for our mistakes. and we come closer to understanding truth than a jw with a lifetime membership ever will.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Interestingly, all that was done was to place infomation at someones finger tips. A key was handed them. To use or not is entirly up to them. If that is unethical, then the very concept of personal freedom is unethical.

And how ironic is it to suggest that its unethical to educate about an organization that witholds information but claims to be involved in an educational work....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit