Long-Term Effects of Physical Abuse

by rebel8 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Adult Children of Alcoholics and Dysfunctinal Families has a list of fourteen Laundry List traits of abused children that carry into adulthood. It was an epiphany. Firefox will not allow me to copy and paste here. I thought I was the only one, very weird, until I read the list. Since childhood abuse happens during the development years, it affects people for life. It also lowers your resilience to bad things later in life.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This part jumped out at me right away:

Whereas abuse had negative consequences for both boys and girls, it was generally more detrimental for girls.

There were 5 kids in my family - 3 girls, 2 boys.

My grandfather once told my grandmother, "The boys might come out of this okay, but the girls will never be right."

Interestingly, my brothers are both elders, (one is a "Royal Elder") and all of us girls have been disfellowshipped, divorced, separated......My sisters are both bi-polar, their lives are full of .

I was the one who kept it all together for over 20 years, til I just could'nt play the game any more.

Now, I'm df'ed and out of the religion, in a healthy relationship and fianlly feel "real" for the first time in my life.

• rebel8
    rebel8

you don't make any sense, posting this thread trying to figure out wether you have ptsd then state you use to treat people with ptsd. If you already know then why ask?

I did not post this thread to figure out if I have PTSD. You must have me confused with someone else.

Adult Children of Alcoholics and Dysfunctinal Families has a list of fourteen Laundry List traits of abused children that carry into adulthood.

Those are almost equal to the PTSD diagnostic criteria.

• trueblue
    trueblue

what ever misses know it all... F off

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm a know-it-all because I know what I posted earlier in this thread? That is a weird thing to say.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Rather have a imaginary friend than a fake one. Your the weirdo.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Smoking pot has never really affected my spelling or ability to gracefully exit a conversation that is above my intellect level.Life is hard.Harder when you have the weirdo JW's in it or ever have.Thats why we all come to places like this.We understand.And yeah,The physical abuse never leaves,Im sure of it...Good luck,we all need eachother! Keep asking for help and talking about it,it can only get better if we are all aware of the different scenarios that might arise from it...Take care...

• LV101
    LV101

Has anyone the link to post to refer to list for children of alcoholic parents and dysfunctional families since it can't be copied/pasted? Thanks.

L101

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Low self-esteem. Feeling bad b/c I became ill through no fault of my own. Perfectionism. Ignoring my hunches that would protect me from harm if I valued them; Feeling that I was raised by criminals. Teachers praising my brightness vs. being put down for achieving high grades. Constant warring within my mind. Knowing the Witnesses to be crazy and harmful yet wanting their teachings to be true to give value to my family. Anxiety. Depression. My mood is dependent out outside circumstances. Bodily stress. Not knowing many social skills for my age.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here you go:http://www.adultchildren.org/lit/Laundry_List.php

I think what I'm learning in this thread is I don't have nearly the effects as others. I see 2 of the things--workaholic, over-responsibility. I used to facilitate an ACOA counseling group when I was a clinician and did recognize those 2 things as a dysfunctional traits of mine but did not connect them to physical abuse.

I am also learning some things about trueblue I will refrain from saying. It speaks for itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit