Febuary 21 2012 We could make a difference,if we want to. A World Wide Campaign sending letters to Govt. officials,newspapers, to Victoria Australia

by smiddy 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one is critizing you or telling you are wrong. I believe posters are adding neutral, advice from their experience. America is a common law country. Common law is common law. No one is putting a gun to your head and saying you must do something. I would pay good money for feedback from people more distant to a situation than I am. It is invaluable usually. You may decide to go with your original course but bashing people with good intentions seems imprudent.

My perspectives were added as someone who as a Political Science major, graduated from a leading law school on a public service scholarship, worked for a legislative body, and debated strategy for political campaigns on a int'l, national, and state basis. Do I know all? No. An actual lobbyist in Australia would have more cogent comments. My opinions are not vapid b/c you do not share them. I assume Australia is a free country.

People thought you wanted to be as effective as possible.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Azazel - im just so tired of this shit

Tired Az

Hi Azazel. I hope that you feel better soon. May be you need to take a break and do something relaxing for a change (i.e., a ride in the country, tea at a local shop, etc.) I know that I have to take a break every now and then from JWN - I just don't post that I am taking a break. Also, thanks for the information about Bob Brown.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hey Az - Hang in there mate. It definitely gets better the further behind you the borg is.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

If JWN is a support forum for members, how can members help each other and still write about their previous experiences without demoralizing other members? What would happen, if posters complimented other posters about thier ideas and tried to offer suggestions about how to improve a concept in addition to posting about thier previous experience(s)?

This post may be a little off-topic for this thread, however I feel that in threads trying to campaign for change in the WTBTS, some members try to build each other up. Other members want to write about their previous experiences and may inadvertantly give the impression that they are trying to debunk an idea.

Robert

P.S. - I had to take a break from JWN by going to my favorite coffee shop for hot chocolate and a bagel and do some errands before I could write this less critical critique about how I feel about some posts.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Thanks to all.Just had a bad day after having to sit thru the first day of CA.i am so far away from this religion doctrinally but have to go.in the short term its to try and save my 3children from it.
    Sorry to all i got angry with.im glad i edited out what i first wrote! Lesson to self.dont post when pissed off.
    Please accept my apologies.
    Az

• smiddy
    smiddy

steve2,sizemik,band on the Run,,Thank you all for your comments,when I started this thread I was asking for opinions as to whether posters thought it was a good idea or not,and their has been a case put forth for and against which I beleive is a good thing.Two sides of the coin are being looked at so to speak,and individuals can make up their own minds wether or not to follow through with the suggestion to write these letters.

I thank everybody for their imput to date.

smiddy

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you smiddy for your acknowledgement that you requested thoughts on whether or not we believed it was a good idea. Az sorry for making your day such a frustrating one for you. Please try to remember that differences in opinions do not necessarily mean anything apart from people just have different views - that's all. BTW I was not suggesting your opinions were obsessive but simply reporting what had happened in the case of the letter writing campaign by the Scientologists! Hope you have a better week!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    Azazel - Thanks to all.Just had a bad day after having to sit thru the first day of CA.i am so far away from this religion doctrinally but have to go.in the short term its to try and save my 3children from it. . . .

Hi Azazel, Have you thought about writing about your experiences trying to save your 3 children from the WTBTS? It is just a thought. It might help others with similiar reasons for being active and may be someone will suggest an idea that may help you.

Robert

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I sent emails to Australian Parliament Senators using the same general format that I used write to Victorian politicians. Because I had to do some internet research about the Australian senators, I decided to include two examples of the different emails. If you decide to write to these senators, please use mostly your own words in your email and tell them about your personal experience and opinion(s).

I sent an email to Senator Nick Xenophon <[email protected]> and completed a contact form for Senator Sue Boyce using her parliament website (www.aph.gov.au/senate/senators/homepages/senators.asp?id=H6V)

Dear Senator Nick Xenophon.: Thank you for co-hosting a National Conference on “Cults in Australia: Facing the Realities” on November 2, 2011. Are you aware that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (WB&TS) could be considered a dangerous cult and that Steven Unthank is prosecuting WB&TS’s leaders and organizations for not complying with Victoria’s child protection law? Administrative hearings about criminal charges against the WB&TS will be held in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court of Victoria in Gippsland, Australia (i.e., case ID’s B12083108, B12083367, B12083527, B12083833, B12082206) on February 21, 2012. Although I am not an Australian, many members of Jehovah Witnesses (JWs) Internet support forums, such as www.jehovahs-witness.net and www.jwsupportforum.com, are very interested in the outcome of Steven Unthank’s criminal cases against the WB&TS and discovering ways to free the minds of loved ones trapped inside of cults. From my personal experience of being exposed to the WB&TS’s doctrines and practices, I hope that more politicians and government officials will learn about the societal costs of dangerous cults like the WB&TS and enact/revise appropriate laws. The WB&TS is a dangerous cult that enslaves members to print and/or distribute literature and is not a religion, as promoted in WB&TS's literature. I hope that the Public Prosecutors Office of Victoria will use its full resources to prosecute the WB&TS leadership and organizations to the maximum extent of Victorian child protection laws. I also hope that Steven Unthank’s cases will inspire revising (or creating) laws to strengthen compliance with child protection laws as well as revise tax laws to exclude dangerous cults like the WB&TS from receiving tax exempt status or qualifying for government programs for charitable organizations. Thanks again for supporting efforts to educate people about dangerous cults. Sincerely, Robert

I also sent a different email to Senator Bob Brown <[email protected]> in which I tried to shorten the paragraphs as suggested by Band on the Run.

Dear Senator Bob Brown: Thank you for trying to expose the Exclusive Brethren, as a dangerous cult (i.e., use thought/behavioral techniques to control its members). Would you be interested in supporting a private citizen, Steven Unthank, to criminally prosecute leaders from another dangerous cult, the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (WB&TS)? Administrative hearings about criminal charges against the WB&TS’ leaders and organizations for not complying with Victoria’s child protection law will be held in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates' Court of Victoria in Gippsland, Australia (i.e., case ID’s B12083108, B12083367, B12083527, B12083833, B12082206) on February 21, 2012. If you would like to learn more about these cases, please visit Steven Unthank's website (www.jwNews.net) to read about these cases. Although I am not an Australian, many members of Jehovah Witnesses (JWs) Internet support forums, such as www.jehovahs-witness.net and www.jwsupportforum.com, are very interested in the outcome of Steven Unthank’s criminal cases against the WB&TS and discovering ways to free the minds of loved ones trapped inside of cults. From my personal experience of being exposed to the WB&TS’s doctrines and practices, I hope that more politicians and government officials will learn about the societal costs of dangerous cults like the WB&TS and enact/revise appropriate laws. The WB&TS is a dangerous cult that enslaves members to print and/or distribute literature and is not a religion, as promoted in WB&TS's literature. I hope that the Public Prosecutors Office of Victoria will use its full resources to prosecute the WB&TS leadership and organizations to the maximum extent of Victorian child protection laws. I also hope that Steven Unthank’s cases will inspire revising (or creating) laws to strengthen compliance with child protection laws as well as revise tax laws to exclude dangerous cults like the WB&TS and Exclusive Brethren from receiving tax exempt status or qualifying for government programs for charitable organizations. Thanks again for supporting efforts to educate people about dangerous cults. Sincerely, Robert

Robert

• sizemik
    sizemik

@Azazel . . .

Please understand I'm not against letter-writing. I wrote to the Commisioner of Children in Victoria several months ago. I have written to politicians and state officials here in NZ on the subject also. Some at least here will no from my history, that this is something important to me.

It is my belief from experience that a well written letter from an individual has more weight than we sometimes imagine. I found it a good idea to hint at, or solicit a response also. Sometimes a meaningful exchange can ensue. My reluctance with writing campaigns where letters are sent in numbers is that it may move each individual letter into the status of a political petitioner or group lobbyist. Consequently, some letters are not read thoroughly, perhaps not at all, and it becomes a numbers game.

I'm hesitant also on account of the state of affairs re; Steve Unthanks case. It is not public knowledge yet . . . so anyone with knowledge of the case is an interested party by default. A volume of letters arriving in the same time frame on the same subject smacks of a campaign. I would hate the thought to be conveyed that Steven is perhaps involved in a lobbying campaign himself by stirring up support. Not while it is before the court.

When the case progresses . . . and newsworthy developments become reported in the media . . . I will certainly be adding my voice to the public response . . . because then numbers will not be misconstrued . . . and they really will matter.

I applaud your strong passion for the well being of the children . . . this is more about them, than hurting the WTS. None of us can claim the innocence they have . . . but we can stop it being violated so easily.

If some here wish to write at this time I have no objection. I would simply ask it be done in light of the above caution. Maybe those that want to can choose a different set of recpients and take special care as to content.

@Robert . . . well done for consulting Steven. I'm sure he'll appreciate the support. I visit his site regularly and have him as a F/B friend and we exchange views occasionally. My concern is purely a timing thing regards what might be viewed as a campaign. A well worded letter or two as you have composed to certain individuals can do nothing but good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit